• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

The System Is Broken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Non Sequitur

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Louisiana
https://cre.nerej.com/the-system-is-broken-refer-to-me-as-captain-amidon-by-patricia-amidon/

Patricia Amidon, MAI, says the system is broken and true to her word she surrender her license. The article is a year old but still relevant IMO.

"In a conversation with one of the existing board members, it was explained to me that the state has far too many appraisers and the goal is to whittle this number down."

"With current strategies of threats, intimidation, and disciplinary action the board is actually harming the public good by doing such an effective job of decreasing the number of appraisers in the state and suppressing the advancement of appraisers’ licensing levels to handle more complex properties."

I have no knowledge of how the Maine board works, I know the Louisiana board is top notch, but IMO all boards/license agencies are hampered by increasing federal oversight. Either way an interesting article from a boots on the ground appraiser.

ucbruin

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
I really don't understand the point the author was trying to make...

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
I've been pillored on this site for saying administrative boards, no manner how well meaning, are kangaroo courts ill-prepared to administrator justice. They lack the skill of trained jurists, guilt is assumed, you have no right to confront your accusers because the board itself has assumed the role of plaintiff, prosecutor, jury, and judge, and boards lie when they try to say you don't need legal advice. And too many get on boards with a personal axe to grind, or as a get out of jail card for themselves. And worse, this site is living proof that appraisers cannot agree on a single sentence in USPAP, and a significant number of not only appraisers but regulators themselves confuse USPAP with Fannie and FHA rules - rules that should be abolished outright .

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
And worse, this site is living proof that appraisers cannot agree on a single sentence in USPAP, and a significant number of not only appraisers but regulators themselves confuse USPAP with Fannie and FHA rules
Well said Terrel. I have to run out for an inspect here shortly, but want to come back and read the article.

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Pennsylvania
I've been pillored on this site for saying administrative boards, no manner how well meaning, are kangaroo courts ill-prepared to administrator justice. They lack the skill of trained jurists, guilt is assumed, you have no right to confront your accusers because the board itself has assumed the role of plaintiff, prosecutor, jury, and judge, and boards lie when they try to say you don't need legal advice. And too many get on boards with a personal axe to grind, or as a get out of jail card for themselves. And worse, this site is living proof that appraisers cannot agree on a single sentence in USPAP, and a significant number of not only appraisers but regulators themselves confuse USPAP with Fannie and FHA rules - rules that should be abolished outright .

Uhm,

Isn't it Brian Coester, who showed the VA board, that these same issues were lost in court by the VA Dentistry Board. And perhaps, that tide could be changing or changed with the right attorney?

Non Sequitur

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Louisiana
Uhm,

Isn't it Brian Coester, who showed the VA board, that these same issues were lost in court by the VA Dentistry Board. And perhaps, that tide could be changing or changed with the right attorney?

I have no love for him but your point is valid, and I know many hate to admit it but he's won more than he's lost when challenged. He's hired some big sticks and like it or not the big sticks are the ones who ultimately will determine what these rules mean. On the other side, and something that Ms. Amidon pointed out, if you don't have the resources to hire a big stick you're SOL. And with every new regulation/law/rule handed down from DC or state legislatures things get worse for boots on the ground appraisers. I don't see it getting any better, that's why my son isn't an appraiser.

Last edited:

timd354

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
https://cre.nerej.com/the-system-is-broken-refer-to-me-as-captain-amidon-by-patricia-amidon/

Patricia Amidon, MAI, says the system is broken and true to her word she surrender her license. The article is a year old but still relevant IMO.

"In a conversation with one of the existing board members, it was explained to me that the state has far too many appraisers and the goal is to whittle this number down."

"With current strategies of threats, intimidation, and disciplinary action the board is actually harming the public good by doing such an effective job of decreasing the number of appraisers in the state and suppressing the advancement of appraisers’ licensing levels to handle more complex properties."

I have no knowledge of how the Maine board works, I know the Louisiana board is top notch, but IMO all boards/license agencies are hampered by increasing federal oversight. Either way an interesting article from a boots on the ground appraiser.
One of the borrower's relations (Robert S. Amidon who was also a staff appraiser in her firm) was disciplined by the Maine board in 2008 which via a consent agreement in which the appraiser admitted to numerous USPAP violations. I have no idea whether or not the Maine board's actions in that case were fair and equitable but the article sure reads like it was written by someone who has an axe to grind and decided to take a shot at the Maine board when she was getting set to retire to sail the inland waterways of this country. If she was so offended by the Maine's board's conduct, then why didn't she publish this letter and turn her license in back in 2008?

Last edited:

timd354

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
Just like there are some appraisers who are good appraisers and some appraisers who are terrible, some state boards are well run and treat the targets of their investigations fairly and equitably while other state boards are horrible and do function like kangaroo courts

Last edited:

DWiley

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
One of the borrower's relations (Robert S. Amidon who was also a staff appraiser in her firm) was disciplined by the Maine board in 2008 which via a consent agreement in which the appraiser admitted to numerous USPAP violations. I have no idea whether or not the Maine board's actions in that case were fair and equitable but the article sure reads like it was written by someone who has an axe to grind and decided to take a shot at the Maine board when
she was getting set to retire to sale the inland waterways of this country. If she was so offended by the Maine's board's conduct, then why didn't she publish this letter and turn her license in back in 2008?

Also, note that the author's license was voluntarily surrendered. It wasn't a simple case of opting not to renew.

Non Sequitur

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Louisiana
I have no idea whether or not the Maine board's actions in that case were fair and equitable but the article sure reads like it was written by someone who has an axe to grind and decided to take a shot at the Maine board when she was getting set to retire to sale the inland waterways of this country.
Of course she has an axe to grind, so do I. I'm still p!ssed that this business has been so over regulated that my son is better off doing something else instead of working with me. I will always have a chip on my shoulder because of that.
If she was so offended by the Maine's board's conduct, then why didn't she publish this letter and turn her license in back in 2008?
Fair question. Maybe she thought things would get better or going forward from 2008 things went downhill pretty fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks