• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Touch Screen For Desktop Pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darrel Clark

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Utah
Has anyone had experience using something like a 27" touch screen monitor with their desktop PC? Thinking it may be an alternative to using a mouse or track ball. Sometimes after hours behind the computer I start to get wrist or hand pain.

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
I'd be curious too.

Change hours to minutes, and wrist or hand to wrist and hand pain and you're with me.
Who makes such a thing?

Darrel Clark

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Utah
I'd be curious too.

Change hours to minutes, and wrist or hand to wrist and hand pain and you're with me.
Who makes such a thing?
I have been looking into the Planar Helium 27" touchscreen. It has the best ratings. Connects via USB, VGA or HDMI. $499 at several places on the internet.

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Pretty big screen! Not sure how I would change from my three 19" screens.
Reaching out to touch the screen would be a big change too. :alcoholic:

CindyR

Professional Status
State
Arizona
a lot of the builder sales offices now have giant touch screen things. they can touch the lots and the plans and make everything magically appear. but they are pretty functional too - asked for something from one builder guy and he danced his fingers around on it and everything i asked for printed...

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Sounds like cool stuff, with a learning curve.

residentialguy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Minnesota
Touchscreens???? You guys are so behind times

Computer-P3.jpg

miktay

Professional Status
State
Texas
I think I prefer my arm resting naturally on the desk, using a mouse. Having to keep my arm raised for long periods of time does not sound good.
(maybe I need more gym time...)

Reactions: A K

Head Surfer

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
I stopped using a mouse back in 1995 due to hand pain from holding the mouse so much. Ever since then I have used a touch pad for my desktop computer. You can order keyboards with built in touch pads just like a laptop. Touch pads are far faster than having to reach for a mouse and become second nature in a short time, and no hand or wrist pain.

If you do get a keyboard with a touch pad, get one with the touch pad at the bottom center of the keyboard, not out to the right. I have had both and you want it closer to where your hands are. I have used the one below for several years:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P6J64K/?tag=realestatappraat

As far as touch screens, I can't imagine how having to reach up and touch the monitor of a desktop unit would be a time saver. I have a touch screen on my lap top and even that is more time consuming than just using the touch pad.

Touch screens are great for tablets and phones, but I just don't see the benefit for a desktop monitor.

TRESinc

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
i bought one for my mom for christmas, but it was a dell all-in-one with a 24" screen, and she loves it. it's kinda like having a huge iphone for her. their all-in-one touchscreens start at $600 for a 24" version. some might scoff at a dell but really all we do is glorified word processing, so while a bleeding edge computer may be what some appraisers want it is hardly a requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks