• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Trainee Time Needed For Each Step

Status
Not open for further replies.

NachoPerito

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Washington
Those of you that have commercial trainees with no real estate experience prior to being hired, but adequate competency otherwise.

How long is typical before they can fill out a report front to back? And how long is typical being on the job before they can complete a basic commercial report with competency.

Appreciate the help.

Michael S

Professional Status
State
New Mexico
Prior to becoming a trainee appraiser I spent about 18 months as a researcher. I wrote up comps, compiled statistics on the local commercial market, etc. So I was pretty familiar with commercial real estate terminology, had talked to quite a few brokers, and had a decent base of knowledge before I took my initial 75 hours of classes and started working with a mentor.

I can't find my old experience logs but as best I can recall I didn't start completing entire reports until maybe 1.5 - 2 years in. I had three mentors throughout my three year trainee period as my first mentor left after about 8-9 months (and passed away suddenly from cancer). I mostly just completed the front end of the report (i.e. everything but that actual valuation sections) as well as researching and confirming comparables. As time went on I would often select the comparables, though many times my mentor and I would sit down and go through them to decide which ones to use. I probably could have started doing entire reports a bit earlier but I would guess a year at least on the job before a typical commercial trainee would be able to do an adequate job on a basic report.

Gobears81

Professional Status
State
Illinois
When I first started, a significant portion of my job involved proofing over reports for typos, etc and preparing for delivery. That admittedly sounds like a clerical position, and maybe it partially is, but it is also a great way to get to know what goes into commercial appraisals. I also did a fairly high percentage of residential appraising when I first started, and even those were often the median-priced ranch homes with plenty of sales. On commercial, there were a lot of cases early on where I was in charge of a portion of the appraisal, but didn't do the entire thing. Either way, LOTS of questions asked. Looking back, I see how difficult it is to not only do a commercial appraisal with correct fundamentals but actually come out to the right value. I heard about a trainee appraising a property too low because they thought it was gross lease terms when it was really net, and some of them get their pride hurt easily. Rookie mistakes like that sound simple to us, but there are lots of variables on commercial that take time to fully grasp. To complete a commercial appraisal from front to back with competency? IMO, it takes years. All the more reason that CG licenses don't need to be watered down.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
Front to back, I would guess 1-2 years. I started with no experience. The problem I had was that my MAI mentor would take such a variety of assignments that I would be clueless as where to start with some reports. Marina, then a farm, then an Assisted Living Facility then a bank building.

Hospital then wetlands, followed by something goofy. For about two years we did nothing but apartments. When that ended it went to hotels, industrial and then back to properties I had forgotten about. Sometimes it was overwhelming.

The only thing that was consistent was social security buildings. I could write those in a couple days.

PL1957

Professional Status
State
Illinois
Those of you that have commercial trainees with no real estate experience prior to being hired, but adequate competency otherwise.

How long is typical before they can fill out a report front to back? And how long is typical being on the job before they can complete a basic commercial report with competency.

Appreciate the help.
When I first started commercial work, training consisted of being given an old report and being told to "make the report look like that". Doing a report from front to back isn't rocket science. Now being competent is a different story ... I've been doing this 30+ years ... I hope to hit competency soon.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
I was writing my own commercial reports (agri) within 3 months. My ex trained me on WordPerfect 5.1. My commercial trainees were CR already. They did their reports from day one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks