• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Use Variance

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMHead

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
New Jersey
Will the property changing to neighborhood commercial next door with the plan to build a 20,000 square foot office building/retail negatively affect my property value? Zoning meeting is less than 2 weeks away.

SMHead

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
New Jersey
My neighbor applied to the zoning board for a use variance they want to build a professional retail office building next door to my home and they're asking for bulk variances as well as the project is oversized. It's currently zoned residential they want to change it to Neighborhood commercial. Will this impact the property values in the surrounding area?

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
Will the property changing to neighborhood commercial next door with the plan to build a 20,000 square foot office building/retail negatively affect my property value? Zoning meeting is less than 2 weeks away.

It probably will affect the value,or appeal...it might lower the value of your house , but in part can depend on the n design of the building, if they design it with consideration of the houses adjacent, such as the parking lot and a privacy wall/landscaping abuts the residential houses it might not affect the value negatively.

Also depends on character of the neighborhood and if it will draw other businesses or re development to it

SMHead

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
New Jersey
It probably will affect the value,or appeal...it might lower the value of your house , but in part can depend on the n design of the building, if they design it with consideration of the houses adjacent, such as the parking lot and a privacy wall/landscaping abuts the residential houses it might not affect the value negatively.

Also depends on character of the neighborhood and if it will draw other businesses or re development to it
They also want a bulk variance because the building would cover more of an area than is allowed and also the parking lot will. It's a corner property of almost 2 acres and there is a traffic light on the corner on the other side of my house is the exit ramp to the interstate although the road is busy the homes are on larger properties and it look somewhat rural. I was going to try to list my property for sale in the spring I feel like this is a slap we've been fixing the house up to get it ready.

SMHead

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
New Jersey
The person who applied for this told me my house would be worth more with his project and I seem to think it's the other way around for what he's proposing is very large and he may get turned down.

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Your house is already near an interstate ramp with a traffic light so it is already affected...when project is completed, if nicely done it could affect value positively or be neutral...but that is an unknown. It might be tough to sell it with construction going on.

SMHead

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
New Jersey
Your house is already near an interstate ramp with a traffic light so it is already affected...when project is completed, if nicely done it could affect value positively or be neutral...but that is an unknown. It might be tough to sell it with construction going on.
youre right i am afraid.
sigh. thanks.
it's a shame it would have been a tough sell anyway. But people that come over always say they like the house and they especially like the huge backyard because nobody can bother us they say. We thought about building a garage in the back to make it more marketable. People that live in developments have a hard time parking business vehicles in the street and there's no land.

A K

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
The person who applied for this told me my house would be worth more with his project and I seem to think it's the other way around for what he's proposing is very large and he may get turned down.

One consideration is that your property may be worth more if zoning variance for commercial use is likely.

SMHead

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
New Jersey
One consideration is that your property may be worth more if zoning variance for commercial use is likely.
could. But this property would not conform because it is too small so we would have to also go for our own variance. We're middle-aged we were really just looking to get out. Maybe 20 years ago we would have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks