• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

VA

Is the VA in competition with AMC’s for competent and skilled appraisers?

• Yes

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 12 60.0%
  • I don’t know

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eli

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Tennessee
I would like to know your thoughts or if you have even thought about it. If they are in competition, what would an AMC want to happen to the VA?

Salty

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
No idea. I worked on a ton of VAs as a trainee. After certification and 5 years experience, I jumped through the VA hoops and never heard back. As of right now, I am not sure thats a bad thing because with what I have going on, I need flexibility more than I need the stress of the clock ticking from the second I receive the order regardless of current workload or complexity. Maybe things have changed today with how the orders work. If I was offered a spot on the panel however I would probably take it.

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
I don't think AMCs are interested in competent skilled appraisers. Most of them want the cheapest and fastest. That does not necessarily mean that the cheapest and fastest are not competent or skilled, or does it?

gregb

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
I don't think AMCs are interested in competent skilled appraisers. Most of them want the cheapest and fastest. That does not necessarily mean that the cheapest and fastest are not competent or skilled, or does it?

There is no likelihood that cheapest and fastest correlates to quality.

Digger88

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
shockingly licensed appraisers are eligible for inclusion on the VA roster and yes the VA roster is the greatest gig in the history of appraising.

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
shockingly licensed appraisers are eligible for inclusion on the VA roster
Kind of funny (meaning strange to me) that VA allows licensed but FHA requires Cert.

TRESinc

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
shockingly licensed appraisers are eligible for inclusion on the VA roster and yes the VA roster is the greatest gig in the history of appraising.

as a former VA panel member i can't say that i agree with that statement. i had more headaches with the VA than any of my other clients. silly requests from lenders, non-appraisers reviewing my work and telling me what i did "wrong" when they had no clue, chasing lenders for payment with little to no help at all from the VA, having the stupid letters put into my "permanent file" (what are we, in grade school???).

as far as the poll, why stop there? the VA panel needs appraisers just like any AMC, direct engagement lender, private client or anyone in the world who needs an appraisal. asking if they are in competition is pointless, especially if one was to give it more than 3 seconds of thought.

Digger88

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
as a former VA panel member i can't say that i agree with that statement. i had more headaches with the VA than any of my other clients. silly requests from lenders, non-appraisers reviewing my work and telling me what i did "wrong" when they had no clue, chasing lenders for payment with little to no help at all from the VA, having the stupid letters put into my "permanent file" (what are we, in grade school???).

as far as the poll, why stop there? the VA panel needs appraisers just like any AMC, direct engagement lender, private client or anyone in the world who needs an appraisal. asking if they are in competition is pointless, especially if one was to give it more than 3 seconds of thought.

wow thats crazy thats not been my experience except for those silly letters you speak of. lenders treat me with kid gloves and the only people reviewing my reports are SAR's so thats legit. and $525 for 3 comp reports is great

TRESinc

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
wow thats crazy thats not been my experience except for those silly letters you speak of. lenders treat me with kid gloves and the only people reviewing my reports are SAR's so thats legit. and $525 for 3 comp reports is great

lucky you. the cleveland VA "reviewers" are not appraisers. they are required to take one basic appraisal course and then they are sent on their way. the person in charge of them all isn't even a licensed appraiser. on top of that the fees here were just increased last december to $450 (which is the lowest fee they pay anywhere according to their published fees), still 5 business day turn times. that puts them around what i am getting from all my other clients for fees, turn times not so much.

Digger88

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
lucky you. the cleveland VA "reviewers" are not appraisers. they are required to take one basic appraisal course and then they are sent on their way. the person in charge of them all isn't even a licensed appraiser. on top of that the fees here were just increased last december to $450 (which is the lowest fee they pay anywhere according to their published fees), still 5 business day turn times. that puts them around what i am getting from all my other clients for fees, turn times not so much.

5 day turns? that really does suck. we have 5 days for liquidation reports only and 10 business for all others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks