• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Valuing Funtional Obsolescence

Status
Not open for further replies.

christo4

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Colorado
Got a tricky one for me to work through.

Situation:
*Ranch style home
*Basement
*No interior access to basement (only exterior)
*Built more like a duplex (zoning will allow but permits and inspections are as high as $25k depending on the city's findings + getting the property up to code so probably making it incurable).
*No stove or cooking device in the basement
*County considers it a duplex solely based on the word of the owner (no inspection done)
*City considers it a SFR as it has not been inspected to code requirements and proper permits have not been obtained.
*Basement is only 500 sq ft
*Ripping up the flooring to insert a stairwell is probably not possible because the stairwell would be so steep it may not meet code. Not only that, the placement in the main level may cause functional obsolescence as well. The only way I see this happening is a spiral staircase.

The only way I can see appraising this is with functional obsolescence and adjusting based on the cost of a spiral staircase or possibly enclosing the exterior stairwell with exterior walls and an door from the interior.

ANY THOUGHTS GREATLY APPRECIATED!

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Tennessee
What if a landing was installed half way down the stairs?

BRCJR

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Virginia
What is the level of finish of the basement? What is the ceiling height?

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Got a tricky one for me to work through.

Situation:
*Ranch style home
*Basement
*No interior access to basement (only exterior)
*Built more like a duplex (zoning will allow but permits and inspections are as high as $25k depending on the city's findings + getting the property up to code so probably making it incurable).
*No stove or cooking device in the basement
*County considers it a duplex solely based on the word of the owner (no inspection done)
*City considers it a SFR as it has not been inspected to code requirements and proper permits have not been obtained.
*Basement is only 500 sq ft
*Ripping up the flooring to insert a stairwell is probably not possible because the stairwell would be so steep it may not meet code. Not only that, the placement in the main level may cause functional obsolescence as well. The only way I see this happening is a spiral staircase.

The only way I can see appraising this is with functional obsolescence and adjusting based on the cost of a spiral staircase or possibly enclosing the exterior stairwell with exterior walls and an door from the interior.

ANY THOUGHTS GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Is this an as is appraisal? Is it ordered as a single family, or ordered as a small income property?

It sounds to me from what you posted that it is a single family with a basement with no interior access to basement, must enter basement from exterior. It does not sound like a duplex from what you posted. Sounds like a ranch (or raised ranch)? With a basement with funct obs due to lack of basement access from interior of dwelling.

Last edited:

Howard Klahr

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Built more like a duplex (zoning will allow but permits and inspections are as high as $25k depending on the city's findings + getting the property up to code so probably making it incurable)
$25,000 in cost of permit(s) alone ??? Doesn't sound right

The only way I can see appraising this is with functional obsolescence
Why? Are there not any other homes of similar vintage in the neighborhood that have basements with exterior only access?

D

Deleted member 130081

So is the main level not a complete functional home without the basement space? Sounds like you have a house, with a basement, exterior access to the basement with some finish in there. Not saying you are likely to find wonderful comps, but if the main level has everything a person would want, I don't see the obsolescence, just a less-than-perfect basement scenario. If you need the basement space to complete the basic functionality of the home, then you gots issues.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
I am loath to impose building anything. There is no reason to. How finished is it? Clearly SFR w/ subpar access can be extracted, pair similar sales, and a cost to cure used as a proxy for adjustment would be a distant 3rd choice.

reviewbe

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
California
Agree with Terrel and the others. Either you are making this harder than it has to be, or we are all missing the point. I don't understand why you are even talking about a duplex.

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Single family ranch with a UTILITY basement and be done .

christo4

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Colorado
$25,000 in cost of permit(s) alone ??? Doesn't sound right

$25,000 came from direct conversations with the city of Fort Collins. Not something I would just make up.

Why? Are there not any other homes of similar vintage in the neighborhood that have basements with exterior only access?

No, I could not find similar comps. Most other properties that are similar are permitted as a duplex are up to code and have a cooking device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks