• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Violation Of Confidentiality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

ginadirocco

I'm not sure whether I've violated confidentiality on a recent refinance. I normally call realtors for information about comps. Because of the odd location of my subject, I recently found it necessary to tell a local realtor the subject's address so I could get his professional opinion about some environmental factors. There has been no fallout from this, and I'm pretty sure it's going nowhere, but for future reference, was it wrong to tell disclose that these folks are refinancing?

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Gina, I will give a general area, subdivision, or even street if it's absolutely necessary.

I get both very sad and very angry when I call a Realtor and they ask what property I'm appraising. It's NONE of their business!!! I would consider it a breach of confidence - I think most homeowners would also consider it a breach of confidence.

I try so hard to nicely tell Realtors that I cannot tell them due to confidentiality. Some are nice about it, some become nasty and won't answer questions. :question:

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Gina:

Some times you DO get backed into a corner with a particular property under circumstances you describe: the best I can tell you is that I have been known to say the XXhundred block of Suchandsuch Street. when I MUST closely identify a property in order to get some 'other' opinions.

By not DIRECTLY identifying the specific street address, even if it is the only residential property on the block :rolleyes: . I have protected the confidentiality of the owners to my greatest ability while remaining true to my purpose: deciphering the effect of external or site specific conditions on a subject property.

IT is splitting hairs... And yes, sometimes you have identified the property... where lies the greatest good? getting accurate information or maintaining unreasonable confidentiality if it precludes accurate data?

I personally request that the conversation be confidential.

Small thing, and in no way garunteed. but I suppose it is at least worth ASKING.

Ross (CO)

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
Gina, ...... Your calls to Realtors with questions of specific nature about one property (their listing) or general nature about a neighborhood, local market percpetions or environmental concerns should be as common and routine for you to make as they are for these Realtors to receive all the time (probably). It appears you ran into one individual who will play that special card whereby they ask you the very pointed question about "the property you are appraising" ! I have certainly been on phone with this type of person(ality) numerous times......and you truly have NO direct need to reveal the exact address of the property you are reporting on. There are usually 2 agents for every (comp) sale, and you have other property sales on the same street, or in same neighborhood....even if THOSE properties would not be considerded as a comp in your report. Call those agents for general info about neighborhood or enviro' concerns. If you reveal certain info up-front you can prevent the question you might get later. I might be very clear on stating the SUBDIVISION name where my subject is located, and maybe the street name if there were MANY homes along that street.....but always fall short of giving an exact address number, period.

Often, I get the curiosity question from them saying.."are these people wanting to list their home ?", such that this agent can possibly secure one more NEW listing prospect. You just might be appraising the place to help them set a listing price---which just might get this agent a faster sale---and their question about address can be more innocent than intially appears. That is sometimes all they want to know the address for....all part of the referral-from-a-referral system that we know drives so many businesses. If this one person seems insistent on knowing the address you politely excuse yourself from the conversation, and call one of the varied other persons who could probably help. ..."Well, Thank You, Mary, I can see that you feel you truly need to know a specific address, and my client has requested I not summarily disclose that. I had only a few general questions, and thought you might be willing to share your knowledge and expertise about that market area, but perhaps it might be best for me to ask some other agents familiar with that subdivision. Again, thank you for your time, good-bye." ......"No, o.k. o.k., what would you like to know ?" In a heartbeat, they may reply with full willingness to help you, so don't move to hang up that phone too quickly ! It's not like you're asking this agent..."boxers, or briefs?"

G

ginadirocco

Once again, thank you all for your expertise. Mums the word.

Tony in Ohio

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Ohio
I have a slight twist on the question.

What about zoning or condo management companies? Those seem to be the places I get hit up for "reciprical" information on.

For zoning I usually try to get the info for the street, but if its mixed, sometimes You have to narrow it down to the parcel or address. I hate it when I hear that the subject is nonconforming because then AI have to ask questions that may set ip an inquiry.

For condo's I usually just ask for general development questions, but there seems to be a lot of busybodies out there.

Its, late, sorry about the spelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks