• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Virus Emails With Bank/lender Names On Them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ross (CO)

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
Got 13 of them today. All had attachment paper-clip thingie, all had same subject line of......" See attached file for details" and coming from an absolute stranger. All got virus-detected, and then deleted. Two had the word, or abbreviation of the word "appraise" in address-from part. Add to that the I-net medications ordering services with no prescription required, the auto extended warranty plans, and the get-a-college-diploma-for-$100 schemes. It is really getting out of control. Tomorrow morning I am signing-on for my provider's general spam filter stuff. The last month has set all records for this garbage coming across !

Head Surfer

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Please read the description of this virus at Mcafee.com and you will understand this virus. It has nothing to do with lenders. Read on down the page a little and you will see: The "From:" address may be spoofed with an address extracted from the victim machine. Therefore the perceived sender is most likely not a pointer to the infected user. So it is probably getting some of the "from" addresses from your address book. Since everyone you reply to automatically goes in your address book, that explains why there are some "lender" addresses in the "from" section. They are not really being sent by lenders.

This page at Mcafee.com explains it all.

http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp...&virus_k=100561

An easy way to not have to deal with this virus is to set up a filter for the body of the message that screens for:

"See the attached file for details".

Since that phrase is in the body of all instances of the virus just have your filter automatically delete the email and you won't even have it show up in your inbox.

Ted Martin

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Kansas
Mcafee's servers appear to be down. I've been trying to log on for the last 45 minutes without any luck. This thing is a pain.

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
:angry:

Great I have some 50 or more messages from folks telling me that I have this virus: which I don't... someone has lifted my name and put it into the 'sent from' area. What a MAJOR pain.

FWIW: it also appears that varients of this darn thing include other text and subject messages than the ones referenced.

BE careful it is a mess out there today.

Pam Wyant

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
West Virginia
Out of 15 e-mail messages just this morning, 11 were viruses. "Your document" "Details" "Wicked Screensaver" "Thank You" were among the titles. A lot are coming from hotmail addresses.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
Ditto - it has actually slowed our dial up connection down so much that I am unable to access some of the sites to the courthouse if I am unwilling to wait like a minute just to load a page.

ter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks