• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Visual Difference, Smoke/CO2/Combo ?

ZZGAMAZZ

Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Visited Home Depot to distinguish between smoke detectors and CO2 detectors, but photos are too large to upload. I found CO2 detectors, smoke detectors for the bedroom, smoke detectors for the kitchen, and combo smoke/CO2 detectors. Other than the rectangular CO2 detector, all of the others look EXACTLY ALIKE with no distinguishing mark; and the Home Depot in-store-expert advised me that one needs to look inside the devices to determine the color of the built-in battery. Any advice otherwise?

p.s. Is the peer appraisal community (for lack of another description) concerned when the install date isn't penciled in?

Renee Healion

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Connecticut

Lee in L.A.

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
I have said more than once there is a detector installed wherever, but I cannot tell if is is smoke, CO, or both.
It has not come back to haunt me. Yet.
Halloween draws near though. :leeann2:

Steely

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
California
CO2 is actually carbon dioxide not carbon monoxide, this I learned as an underwriter pointed this out to me on my appraisal, so I now painfully write out carbon monoxide detector every time when referencing carbon monoxide detectors.
So anyway many of the units are now combination smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. All sort of different sizes and shapes but one difference that seems to be consistent in the typical round ones I see is that there are vents on the face of the units in a small grill like design. When they have just one set of vents it is smoke detection, Two sets of vents indicates it is a combination unit.
When you cant read them as they may be on ceiling, take a picture then blow it up and see if its readable.

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Sounds like you need to take up smoking. I suggest cigars for the extra available volume of smoke. Toke on it and blow on the detector. If it goes off, its a smoke detector. If it doesn't, its a CO detector or a non functioning smoke detector...Never mind.

ZZGAMAZZ

Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
California
CO2 is actually carbon dioxide not carbon monoxide, this I learned as an underwriter pointed this out to me on my appraisal, so I now painfully write out carbon monoxide detector every time when referencing carbon monoxide detectors.
So anyway many of the units are now combination smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. All sort of different sizes and shapes but one difference that seems to be consistent in the typical round ones I see is that there are vents on the face of the units in a small grill like design. When they have just one set of vents it is smoke detection, Two sets of vents indicates it is a combination unit.
When you cant read them as they may be on ceiling, take a picture then blow it up and see if its readable.
---
a VOICE of REASON in the wilderness. Much appreciated.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks