• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Water Heater

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtubbs

I appraised a property with a water heater located in storage area attached to the house. I required a extension pipe from the pressure relief value to within 8-10" of the floor (the requirement under the old FHA rules).

The FHA fee inspector was inspecting for a structural problem and was to clear the water heater condition as well. He advised the lender that the extension pipe had to go to the exterior of the dwelling. Can't find anything in 4150.2 regarding this, or for the extension to be any certain distance from the floor. The house is 15 years old and located in an area that has no building code requirements.

How do others handle similar conditions? Comments would be appreciated.

Ted Martin

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Kansas
It doesn't sound like it's your problem if the HUD inspector called for it. It's not in the 4150 anywhere that I can find but it is required by building code in quite a few markets, and it makes very good sense. The level of protection compared to the cost is almost nothing.

Ben Vukicevich SRA

Professional Status
State
New Jersey
Ron,

Actually, you won't find anything in 4150.2 about tailpipes on pressure relief valves. Old FHA guys like us require them under the "safety" aspect of FHA regs so that no one is scalded should the relief valve let go. We used 6" to the floor out here.

If there are no building codes, where did the FHA inspector come up with the extension to the outside of the house? The unit is in a storage shed so there is nothing to be damaged if the relief valve lets go, right? And, who really needs a tailpipe on the relief valve if the water heater is in a storage shed-who's going to be inside the shed when the relief valve lets go...... Think about that one

Second, the FHA inspector shouldn't be adding requirements to your appraisals after the fact. They can, and some do, report you to FHA for missing or overlooking repairs but they are there to clear the VC sheet conditions, not to add.

Ben

Verne Hebert

Professional Status
State
Montana
Everybody bad.

FHA/HUD 4150.2 refers to CABO one and two family dwelling units when no model code exists. This requires the piping of the T&P piping outside of the building ,or to a floor drain, or floor sink(generally a commercial application).

But you know what? I personally have never heard of a T & P valve going and I had a service plumbing company in the early 80's.

Ben Vukicevich SRA

Professional Status
State
New Jersey
Verne,

I do lots of new construction in NJ and DE for several different builders. I have yet to see any tailpipe piped to the outside, a floor drain or a sink. They just hang down the side of the unit to within 6" of the floor. ... and they all swear it conforms to CABO on the Builders Certification form...Oh well, so much for that..

Ben

rtubbs

Verne, I was referring to a situation that (1) is an existing dwelling and (2) is in an area with no building code. CABO doesn't apply in this instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks