• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

What does the title "Chief Appraiser" mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Tennessee
I have had several calls from people working for the lenders who claim to be a Chief Appraiser. Many of them appear to know what they are talking about. But, once in a while I get one that just blows my mind. How do they get the title "Chief Appraiser" and what does it really mean?:icon_question:

airphoto

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
Like working at the bank .. mostly Vice Presidents .. worth about ten cents more than minimum wage ..

Ms. Janet

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
For some lenders and AMCs, it is another level of review appraiser

Marcia Langley

Professional Status
State
Missouri
Unless tightly regulated (lol) job titles are left up to the employer.

In my previous career as an "engineering manager" job titles underwent frequent changes over the last half of the 20th century from "engineer" to distinctions in the same job between those with professional engineering credintials and those without to finally just giving everyone the same lower-credential title.

In practice, I'm guessing that at least the big banks' chief appraisers have appraiser credentials.

panappr

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
I remember there used to be class I, Class II, Class III, then Chief Appraiser. It was primarily a bank rating, and we used to put it on our appraisals. I miss those days.

Lost Cause

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New York
Simply put, Chief Appraiser is a title used at banks and other institutions for the person who manages the appraisal department. He/She would set the institution's appraisal polices (in conjunction with upper management) and the institution's appraisal staff would all report to him/her. I know of some banks which have two separate, independent positions: Chief Residential Appraiser and Chief Commercial Appraiser. I believe Countrywide had a split like that. Wells Fargo, too. In most banks (big ones, anyway), the Chief Appraiser reports to the credit department rather than to the lending department to help preserve appraiser independence.

All the Chief Appraisers I have known have been qualified appraisers.

JRS at OBX

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
I'm the chief appraiser at my company, but I'm also the janitor and secretary too.

George Ellerman

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
I have had several calls from people working for the lenders who claim to be a Chief Appraiser. Many of them appear to know what they are talking about. But, once in a while I get one that just blows my mind. How do they get the title "Chief Appraiser" and what does it really mean?:icon_question:
343389040.jpg + 3471506194.jpg =

Chief Appraiser !!!

LuckyLucy48

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
I thought it was a title for the # 2 guy in a county POA.
T

Vermonter

Professional Status
State
Vermont
"Chief" is defined as the only appraiser in the building with an actual license.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks