• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

What the H*** VA?

KYLECODY

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2003
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
Recently completed a simple suburban tract home for the VA. Cash out refi I believe. Home was average and not updated. 2016 build so everything was fine just basic. Had three model matches within 3 months. This is a flat/stable market so time adjustments are not needed. Came in at 440k I believe with almost no adjustments.

Three weeks later the lender sends an email for a ROV with 3 "comps" and in the email thread the loan officer is begging basically that the loan can't work unless it gets raised. They submit a support ticket they say to the VA. I just wait to hear from the VA to proceed because sometimes they can cut these off at the pass. The VA never sent me anything directly for a ROV so I figure they just told them yeah, too bad, sorry. End of story.

The 3 comps they sent me had two from within the subdivision that were similar enough but both with swimming pools, which is roughly 30-40k in this price range. The subject had no pool. The 3rd comp was brand new construction, highly upgraded from a different subdivision.. Huh? We dont use new homes for 10 year old homes. All this could of easily been explained away by me in about 3 sentences on a ROV but they never contacted me.

Check the order today out of curiosity and in the notes the VA "reviewer" said "Im pleased to inform you we raised the value to $480k" What in the actual f***? I know the VA reviewer has discretion to bump it up within a set amount if warranted but huh? They didn't account for the large swimming pool adjustments or the other comp being new construction and superior. They ignored the three recent, model matches I used. I dont know if they got lucky with whoever the reviewer was and he just didn't care or if the VA is just willing to throw any number on paper to close the loan and get that interest? The bad thing is now that homeowner, who also overpaid for that house near the end of Covid 2022, will be upside down by a bunch if he has to sell in the next few years. And the next appraiser that shows up will also be the bad guy if he gives a legit value. Did not think I would see the VA go down this path. Shady stuff. They are usually excellent on everything.
 
The VA is mostly a sheltered workshop. Without it, there would be another 500,000 people crapping in the streets. Fortunately, an occasional veteran gets part of the benefit they were promised. Of course, the VA loan program is for the benefit lenders, realtors, and appraisers. The veterans are the marks.
 
Reviewer at VA resource center disagreed with your value ? Ive seen it happen over the years. Borrower a General or Admiral or DOD big shot who knows. What $ amount or percentage difference?
 
Reviewer at VA resource center disagreed with your value ? Ive seen it happen over the years. Borrower a General or Admiral or DOD big shot who knows. What $ amount or percentage difference?
Glenn, read the op. Your answer lies therein
 
Recently completed a simple suburban tract home for the VA. Cash out refi I believe. Home was average and not updated. 2016 build so everything was fine just basic. Had three model matches within 3 months. This is a flat/stable market so time adjustments are not needed. Came in at 440k I believe with almost no adjustments.

Three weeks later the lender sends an email for a ROV with 3 "comps" and in the email thread the loan officer is begging basically that the loan can't work unless it gets raised. They submit a support ticket they say to the VA. I just wait to hear from the VA to proceed because sometimes they can cut these off at the pass. The VA never sent me anything directly for a ROV so I figure they just told them yeah, too bad, sorry. End of story.

The 3 comps they sent me had two from within the subdivision that were similar enough but both with swimming pools, which is roughly 30-40k in this price range. The subject had no pool. The 3rd comp was brand new construction, highly upgraded from a different subdivision.. Huh? We dont use new homes for 10 year old homes. All this could of easily been explained away by me in about 3 sentences on a ROV but they never contacted me.

Check the order today out of curiosity and in the notes the VA "reviewer" said "Im pleased to inform you we raised the value to $480k" What in the actual f***? I know the VA reviewer has discretion to bump it up within a set amount if warranted but huh? They didn't account for the large swimming pool adjustments or the other comp being new construction and superior. They ignored the three recent, model matches I used. I dont know if they got lucky with whoever the reviewer was and he just didn't care or if the VA is just willing to throw any number on paper to close the loan and get that interest? The bad thing is now that homeowner, who also overpaid for that house near the end of Covid 2022, will be upside down by a bunch if he has to sell in the next few years. And the next appraiser that shows up will also be the bad guy if he gives a legit value. Did not think I would see the VA go down this path. Shady stuff. They are usually excellent on everything.
I find it hard to believe that a reviewer connected with the VA can simply change and raise your market value opinion on an appraisal. Wouldn't they need your signature to accomplish that?
 
I find it hard to believe that a reviewer connected with the VA can simply change and raise your market value opinion on an appraisal. Wouldn't they need your signature to accomplish that?
No in this case the appraiser didn't change or raise his value so why would he sign anything. VA insures the loan they don't need approval.

This wasn't done by lenders in house SAR or outside reviewers.

The VA reviewer at the appraisers RLC whose a Federal Employee can determine if a value low or high can be changed or he can even reject it.
 
The veterans are the marks.
How are the veterans the marks? That is just such a stupid comment......VA financing is the best mortgage financing deal available anywhere, bar none.....100% financing with no mortgage insurance premiums.
 
How are the veterans the marks? That is just such a stupid comment......VA financing is the best mortgage financing deal available anywhere, bar none.....100% financing with no mortgage insurance premiums.
I think because they are given a loan that starts off underwater.
 
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back
Top