• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

What Type Of File Is This?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spettifer

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
I have several XP Pro computers in the office using Outlook 2000 for e-mail. No major problems for the most part. I bought a Dell with basically the same setup. Everytime I send a jpeg file on that computer, the person on the other side receives a winmail.dat file instead of the jpeg. I remember having this problem several years ago and have forgotten why the file converts to a winmail.dat and how to make sure the the jpeg file is not converted. Can anybody solve this mystery for me?

Scott

Rene Mata

Freshman Member
As a student of Microsoft Exchange server 2000, I
don't have yet the necessary experienced, but this
article will help....

What is a winmail.dat file?

Answer
Comment from guest:

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 138053

----------------------------------------

Comment from guest:

winmail.dat is a rich text format file. Finally after 3 months of searching I found a free program to extract the files within. www.biblet.freeserve.co.uk/Download/WMDecode.zip

Hope this helps

Comment from guest:

The Winmail.dat file is used to preserve formatting that the sending client includes in the message, but is not recognized by the receiving client. In the case of Outlook, the Winmail.dat file includes Rich Text Formatting (RTF) instructions. This type of formatting is used with the Microsoft Outlook Rich Text Format and when using Microsoft Word as an e-mail editor.

Comment from guest:

The sender is sending the attachment from Outlook (or some other such client) as Rich Text Format! The recipient has a mail server which strips the HTML formatting as messes the attachment up. This file can be recovered in DOS with a file called DETNEF.EXE or FENTUN.EXE. In future the sender should be advised to mail as plain text formatting. ----------------------------------------

Comment from guest:

Hi together,

thanks for providing both links: www.biblet.freeserve.co.uk/Download/WMDecode.zip ftp.AI.mit.edu/pub/users/grg/dos-windows/fentun.exe

Both programs do exactly what they should, the first one is a time limited trial version, the last is free and even lets you change the filename and destination directory - not that this feature is needed very much.

Thank you.

Michael ----------------------------------------

Comment from guest:

I don't know the exact meaning of the word, but I know its a signature format from a rich text Outlook format. Usually, Netscape users will see this .dat file. Outlook users must send the message in plain text when sending messages to netscape users.

That's my two cents....

Comment from guest:

http://www.modemhelp.net/newsletter/email/...inmaildat.shtml says it all

Ever wonder where WINMAIL.DAT attachments come from? It's a Microsoft Exchange "feature". Since Exchange supports rich-text email (bold, italic, multiple fonts, etc.), and Internet email doesn't, any email sent from Exchange to a non-Exchange mail reader will contain an Attachment called WINMAIL.DAT. If you use Exchange, you won't see this file, and the message will retain its formatting. However, it can be confusing for those who don't use Exchange (You, I, and the majority of the Internet population), and have no use for this file.

In MS Outlook and Outlook Express:

On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Mail Format (or "Send") tab. Under the Send tab is the message format list, select Plain Text or HTML(NOT Rich Text Format), and then click OK.

That is all there is to it!

Comment from guest:

spettifer

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
Rene, thanks for the info......That took care of the problem. Will keep the setting on Plain Text , no more Rich Text Format for me. Case closed.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks