• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Which route to take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawrence R.

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
South Carolina
I have a friend and her brother recently got into appraising. He never approached me to mentor him, and got a job with a local appraiser. I didn't even know that he was in the field until he passed his last course for his entry level license. He has only been at it for about 3 months now.

I gladly told him anything I can do, let me know.

He calls me the other night because he can't get the 1004C(yeah, you heard right) to make sense for the 2 story modular home resale he is doing about 60 miles away from his home county.

His supervisor, of course called him with the assignment because he was in that same area doing another one at the time. So, no supervisor on site 60 miles away.

This guy is quickly becoming the next skippy in town. His mentor thinks he is one of the best appraisers around, and so does his trainee.

Now here is the real question: What do I do? Tell him his boss is a P.O.S, get in a fight with him about it so he never asks me for help again?

Get in a you know what match with his super over what he is doing?

Call the board and say---what? what can I say?

I don't have the business to support him, or I would just tell him to leave while he can. Of course, it is because of his super, and ones like him, that I don't have enough business (just a vicious cycle there).

This is the real world problem with the issue we face today. The consequences of ANY action are so variable and uncertain, we have no idea what we should do.

I want to help this guy, but I feel powerless.

What can I do? Any advice would be a tremendous help.

Mind you, I have no physical proof of his work or anything, just the trainee's admission that he is basically unsupervised.

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina
I would simply tell him in a polite way that he is not getting the proper mentoring and training and leave it at that. I don't believe I would do more than that, if that.

If your friend of a friend is that bad off, you can't help him. It is up the lending community and the state to accept or reject him.

David S. Roberson

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Tennessee
Tell him cause it's a 2 story modular he needs to use two 1004C forms. Let the industry weed him out.

Lawrence R.

Professional Status
State
South Carolina
Market based solutions.

I guess there is a part of me that thinks the industry won't weed him out...they will tell him that I'm the idiot, just look at how much business he gets bla blah blech.

I hope something happens to fix this kid before it is too late. I really hope he falls short and can't get licensed due to the heavier requirements in 2008. Who knows...

H

Hall McClenahan

What can I do?

Give him this website and ask him to join.

If he wants to learn he will, if he knows it all, he will leave. If he knows it all and is still here in three months, he is tough enough to take whatever outcome his choice leads him to.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ross (CO)

Professional Status
State
Colorado
larry,.....Excellent advice from Hall about this Forum. Tell your friend's brother that it is key to his well-being and future success as an appraiser that he come here daily.....and reads. Give him a few other sites too. Give him links to the FHA 4150.2 and the FNMA Selling Guide. AppraisalScoop.com is getting better with time.

If this individual hits rock-bottom and the only direction is up.....give him The Book. Don't throw the book at him, but rather hand it to him calmly and with compassion in your heart. It may seem painful for you to have hesitated so long, perhaps, as you ask yourself why you did not do this sooner.
. or, you could procure for him now a copy of the....2008 USPAP....so that he can start the new year by having The Book. Tell him to read it.....as you will be giving him an oral exam with 10 specific and focused questions 30 days later and that your future association with him depends on how well he answers those questions !

Last edited:

Lee in L.A.

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Now there's an exciting Christmas present. USPAP. :rof:

Do what you can to point him the right way. Pointing him to this forum is a good idea. :)

Otis Key

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New Mexico
Ditto Hall & Ross
larry,.....Excellent advice from Hall about this Forum. Tell your friend's brother that it is key to his well-being and future success as an appraiser that he come here daily.....and read. Give him a few other sites too. Give him links to the FHA 4150.2 and the FNMA Selling Guide. AppraisalScoop.com is getting better with time.

If this individual hits rock-bottom and the only direction is up.....give him The Book. Don't throw the book at him, but rather hand it too him calmly and with compassion in your heart. It may seem painful for you to have hesitated so long, perhaps, as you ask yourself why you did not do this sooner.
Unless you're "having a relationship with this friend" I wouldn't do any more than that. This site and numerous others provide helpful feed back and information to newbies, experienced and non-appraisers.
. or, you could procure for him now a copy of the....2008 USPAP....so that he can start the new year by having The Book. Tell him to read it.....as you will be giving him an oral exam with 10 specific and focused questions 30 days later and that your future association with him depends on how well he answers those questions !

I don't think I'd go that far - he either wants to be or not! But it's a good "shock" approach tactic, if you want to go that far for some reason.

Lawrence R.

Professional Status
State
South Carolina
Unless you're "having a relationship with this friend" .

Umm...no, I am not now nor have I ever....lol...

No, his sister and husband are some of our(me and my WIFE) best freinds. I just would hate to see him lose his career this soon in to it.

Thanks for the good advice.

Wendy

Professional Status
State
Florida
There are a great number of forum members who thought they had good supers and training until they came here and read a bit.

I'm not the only one who's eyes were opened. If he has a shred of decency his will be opened as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks