• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Would it be advisable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EquianAvante

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
California
To offer a residual management fee to my mentor? A percentage of all work competed when I fly solo? for example, mentor trains me until I acquire my General license, I go solo and fly sky high with my own firm and I grant him a certain consultation fee per each transaction through my license, contracted of course. That way there we will not be as much resentment finding a mentor and they won't be leary when I leave to become their greatest threat ever.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
When do you plan to leave your mentor?
Why do you plan to leave your mentor?
How many years of experience will you have when you leave your mentor?
How many experience hours will you have when you leave your mentor?
How many classroom hours to you plan to have when you leave your mentor?
Is your mentor designated?
Do you plan on being designated when you leave your mentor?
What makes you think you will be their greatest threat ever?
How much experience do you have now?

EquianAvante

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
California
When do you plan to leave your mentor? when i get my hours 3000
Why do you plan to leave your mentor? Eventually, I would like to own and operate my own development firm, to build quality affordable housing.
How many years of experience will you have when you leave your mentor? 3 yrs
How many experience hours will you have when you leave your mentor? 3000
How many classroom hours to you plan to have when you leave your mentor? 300 for the state Gen. Maybe the hours for the CCIM and the MAI.
Is your mentor designated? Has to be, in CA he/she cannot not be certified.
Do you plan on being designated when you leave your mentor? Yes, wouldn't have it any other way.
What makes you think you will be their greatest threat ever? If he/she trained me in their own image or prestige and order, the thought may cross their mind initially.
How much experience do you have now? Enough to be dangerous.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
When do you plan to leave your mentor? when i get my hours 3000 At 3,000 hours you are not even qualified to be dangerous. You are still clueless.

Why do you plan to leave your mentor? Eventually, I would like to own and operate my own development firm, to build quality affordable housing. That is a noble endeavor, but it takes much more than appraisal knowledge to do so.

How many years of experience will you have when you leave your mentor? 3 yrs There are CG appraisers on here who will say that 10 years is what you need to be very credible, and three years is not near that.

How many experience hours will you have when you leave your mentor? 3000 See above.

How many classroom hours to you plan to have when you leave your mentor? 300 for the state Gen. Maybe the hours for the CCIM and the MAI. The MAI takes a lot more than 3,000 hours and 300 hours of classroom. You will need a lot more experience and education for the MAI.

Is your mentor designated? Has to be, in CA he/she cannot not be certified. No, that is incorrect, your mentor does not need to be designated in any state to be a CG. Designation comes from organizations like the AI, NAIFA and the ASA. Is your mentor an MAI or SRA?

Do you plan on being designated when you leave your mentor? Yes, wouldn't have it any other way. See above.

What makes you think you will be their greatest threat ever? If he/she trained me in their own image or prestige and order, the thought may cross their mind initially. If you leave them after three years/3,000 hours experience/300 classroom hours you will not even be a blip on their radar screen. Just another trainee who left before they should and who puts out subpar work when they get an assignment that is over their head.

How much experience do you have now? Enough to be dangerous.Doesn't really answer the question, but I would guess as of right now, you don't even know enough to be dangerous.

I highlighted your answers in Blue to make it easier to read. The above is meant to be constructive, not insulting, but there is so much to learn that you most likely have not even scraped the top of the iceberg.

toddmallard

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Georgia
This will take a while. Do you have a mentor at this time?.

If you do than get as much training as posible.

Either way, your mentor is not afraid of you being in competition with him. If he is good as a mentor than he is probably good as an appraiser and therefore would not loose his clients to a new-bee.

And finally, I myself would never hire anyone who is starting out in this field at this time. Being an appraiser is, gathering all data as you can find and coming to a valid conclusion. If you actually think that this is the right time to start in this field, than start gathering all data you can and come up with the proper conclusion.

The conclusion that you should come out with is "NO"

BRCJR

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Virginia

If you actually think that this is the right time to start in this field, than start gathering all data you can and come up with the proper conclusion.

The conclusion that you should come out with is "NO"

Disagree.

During slower times a mentor has more quality time to train. If, the market returns to a healthy status you will have some needed knowledge, to utilize in assisting your mentor, at a time that could benefit the both of you.

Pros and cons from both sides of the fence.

Another side of the coin, start when the market is on fire and get licensed when the market is in a possible downturn.

There may or may not be a GOOD time to enter this field, as with lots of fields.

toddmallard

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Georgia
You may disagree, but most of the appraisers here in So. Fla. don't have enough work for themself, let alone a trainee. There are however some skippy-mills here in So. Fla. That belong to this forum that may have some openings. But than we have another Skippy Trained Appraiser.

BRCJR

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Virginia
You may disagree, but most of the appraisers here in So. Fla. don't have enough work for themself, let alone a trainee. There are however some skippy-mills here in So. Fla. That belong to this forum that may have some openings. But than we have another Skippy Trained Appraiser.

May be a good time for ethical appraisers to take away the ability for the skippy mill to find trainees.

EquianAvante

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
California
Hmmmmm.

I highlighted your answers in Blue to make it easier to read. The above is meant to be constructive, not insulting, but there is so much to learn that you most likely have not even scraped the top of the iceberg.
No insult, I am 28 and I feel really old, so 10 yrs, OMG, I'll be in my middle, I have lost so much ground to underachieving!!! But I get the drift, it will take time to be someone in this industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks