• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Would you include this in the GLA starting 4/1/22

Would you include this finished 2nd floor in the GLA starting 4/1/22

• Yes

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • No

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it appears to be very usable space.

Last edited:
I'm asking because I've not heard this particular section explained well, and I'm not sure it's being understood. "If a room's ceiling is sloped, at least one-half of the finished square footage in that room must have a vertical ceiling height of at least 7 feet.".

I've had a mix of yes and no answers when it comes to applying this as GLA.

Without looking it up ANSI My answer is no! The floor width between is 10' at the knee wall. The Portion of the Ceiling height at 7' is 4' . That is less than 50%

I will apply GLA on anything that is used for living area and that is treated as Living Area by market
participants and how the general market perceives. ANSI is a guideline and not a law and I refuse to be boxed into 1/10th of inches and a ceiling height being 1 inch to low.

I will apply GLA on anything that is used for living area and that is treated as Living Area by market
participants and how the general market perceives. ANSI is a guideline and not a law and I refuse to be boxed into 1/10th of inches and a ceiling height being 1 inch to low.
I agree with the part about MARKET. The Problem with Fannie is you would have to show that as a separate line item and adjust on that line. Basically, we are segregating the different areas because of ANSI, and what the 800 Lb Gorilla has decreed.

There are other Real-World Consequences over this that will show up down the road,

Last edited:

ansi has been incorporated by reference by gse and you must comply to SOW which has been incorporated by reference by your State. obey

I would include 8 feet of the width
Nice Catch. Having said that there s a real life FLAW in ansi. They SPEAK TO stair cases being added to 2nd floor What they don't speak to is Staircase Tread width/depth and step rise. Maybe I missed that part.

If a room's ceiling is sloped, at least one-half of the finished square footage in that room must have a vertical ceiling height of at least 7 feet.".
I do believe that it says that 1/2 of the ceiling height has to be 7'. Not 1/2 half of the square footage. I know it sounds the same. But it could make a difference in some situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back