• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Would you include this in the GLA starting 4/1/22

Would you include this finished 2nd floor in the GLA starting 4/1/22

• Yes

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • No

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for your response Dublin ohio. The text verbiage is " Finished areas must have a ceiling height of at least 7’. In a room with a sloping ceiling, at least 50% of the finished square footage of the room must have a ceiling height of at least 7’ and no portion of the finished area that has a ceiling height of less than 5’ can be included in the GLA."

This is very interesting because someone could put up walls on the lower areas (making the width that is 7' at least 50% of the width of the room) and then it can be included in the GLA.

Without looking it up ANSI My answer is no! The floor width between is 10' at the knee wall. The Portion of the Ceiling height at 7' is 4' . That is less than 50%

If someone narrows the knee wall by 1 foot on both sides then it's GLA. Those are the rules, but they don't appear logical to me.

If someone narrows the knee wall by 1 foot on both sides then it's GLA. Those are the rules, but they don't appear logical to me.
The GLA did not change. The total area of the room changed. It doesn't say you don't count anything as GLA. Just because all of the finished area does not qualify. You would still count the 8' wide area as GLA.

The GLA did not change. The total area of the room changed. It doesn't say you don't count anything as GLA. Just because all of the finished area does not qualify. You would still count the 8' wide area as GLA.

"In a room with a sloping ceiling, at least 50% of the finished square footage of the room must have a ceiling height of at least 7’"

Based on that it doesn't count.

I understand Fannie Mae wants standards. But this is going to take some working out. This is only one example illustrated. I'm also thinking about the best way to put a Tri-level with an additional basement on the grid. Especially if the garden level, not the basement, has two of the three bedrooms and one of the two bathrooms. Sounds like a lot of additional line items. I can't see putting the garden level on the basement line.

"In a room with a sloping ceiling, at least 50% of the finished square footage of the room must have a ceiling height of at least 7’"

Here is the complete statement.

Finished areas must have a ceiling height of at least 7’. In a room with a sloping ceiling, at least 50% of the finished square footage of the room must have a ceiling height of at least 7’ and no portion of the finished area that has a ceiling height of less than 5’ can be included in the GLA."

So your interpretation is the the term "square footage" is not taken in the context of GLA. They use three different terms in the statement. GLA, finished square footage and finished area in that one statement. Which is which.

Whether you include the space in GLA or not, the space exists. You have to include it in the description of the improvements. The space may or may not have contributory value. That is a market question. Using the ANSI Z765 2021 standard... or any other standard... does not change the property. It only changes the way it is described. Or... as some like to say... It is what it is.

Right, wait your wrong. This is where you have to separate areas in your grid. AKA additional Line Items. What may seem illogical to the Human Brain(two halves) is absolutely logical to a computer. Throw in Fit n Finish and it gets even more complicated to the Human Brain(touchy Feely). ANSI uses the word 'embodies'

To best way to illustrate to the reader/intended User(lender) and unintended User(homeowner) is to have two area sketch profiles; Vertical and Horizontal. You may even have to create a separate floor plan and profile in a more complex SFR.

ANSI Page 2, Para 3.2 Detached SFR ..... is pretty simple until you get to Page 2 para 3.7. This is where it gets a little confusing and I can see why some answer one way and others answer another way. It does seem illogical. That area at below five ft has value. One of the pictures in this thread demonstrated that because it had free-standing storage cabinets along the knee walls.

What I like about this is simple to understand. This is going to stop Mr Bragadocious(3-4 reports per day) dead in his tracks. Then again his ethics are highly questionable so maybe not.

Additionally, competition for easy peasy one level FHA on grade slab assignment fees will plummet.

You could also argue that if only they had cut back 1' of carpet on each side, then that portion of the room wouldn't be "finished" and it would be 8' of "finished square footage" with 1' of "unfinished square footage" on each side. It does seem illogical, and not fully developed.

Whether you include the space in GLA or not, the space exists. You have to include it in the description of the improvements. The space may or may not have contributory value. That is a market question. Using the ANSI Z765 2021 standard... or any other standard... does not change the property. It only changes the way it is described. Or... as some like to say... It is what it is.
Also, the space may qualify as GLA but not have the same contributory value as the rest of the home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back