• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Yorktown Domain Case

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder why they deposited the money if they didn't agree with number?
Typically the condemning body would put the money in an interest bearing account until the case is resolved. Plaintiff gets money plus interest.

The Owners have the right to their own appraisal IAW the Uniform Act and they don't pay for it. It usually is cheaper to settle above the appraised value to get the property, sometimes also paying for relocation cost. The owner can ask for a jury or judges trial.

Correct...except most states have a maximum reimbursement amount for the owners appraisal.

Typically the condemning body would put the money in an interest bearing account until the case is resolved. Plaintiff gets money plus interest.

Yup...it's the rules they follow based on constitutional law.

I assume Indiana has a few good attorneys who do domain cases. I'd suggest they find one who says, "I am going to do everything possible so you are made whole as the law specifies."

The domain attorneys I've delt with have impressed me that they are strong advocates, more so than most sharks who just try to maximize their fees. The nice thing about about just compensation is the attorney fees are on top of the settlement.

Now it is Constitutional law to steal property to give to Private Developers for the purpose to collect taxes. That should make PP happy. And even after they collect the taxes, they are still broke. Pretty amazing.

Now it is Constitutional law to steal property to give to Private Developers for the purpose to collect taxes. That should make PP happy. And even after they collect the taxes, they are still broke. Pretty amazing.

Sure, you could take that position...as an advocate to one side of the story.

Kelo v. City of New London, 545 U.S. 469 (2005),[1] was a case decided by the Supreme Court of the United States involving the use of eminent domain to transfer land from one private owner to another private owner to further economic development. In a 5–4 decision, the Court held that the general benefits a community enjoyed from economic growth qualified private redevelopment plans as a permissible "public use" under the Takings Clause of the Fifth Amendment.

The case arose in the context of condemnation by the city of New London, Connecticut, of privately owned real property, so that it could be used as part of a “comprehensive redevelopment plan.” However, the private developer was unable to obtain financing and abandoned the redevelopment project, leaving the land as an undeveloped empty lot.[2]

Kelo v. City of New London, 545 U.S. 469 (2005),[1] was a case decided by the Supreme Court of the United States involving the use of eminent domain to transfer land from one private owner to another private owner to further economic development. In a 5–4 decision, the Court held that the general benefits a community enjoyed from economic growth qualified private redevelopment plans as a permissible "public use" under the Takings Clause of the Fifth Amendment.

The case arose in the context of condemnation by the city of New London, Connecticut, of privately owned real property, so that it could be used as part of a “comprehensive redevelopment plan.” However, the private developer was unable to obtain financing and abandoned the redevelopment project, leaving the land as an undeveloped empty lot.[2]

In the 50's of 60's eminent domain was used to acquire land for a dam over the Kickapoo River...project started and never finished. Probably every state has something similar...the landowner gets compensated regardless of the project coming to fruition (or so I understand).

consider the interstate highway system -- certainly made possible by eminent domain! the process is abused on rare occasions but is central to infrastructure development.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back