• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

2017 Files Stored & Prepay ? For 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sid Holderly

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Indiana
Desk & computer file cleanup today to prepare for 2018.
Conundrums: Where did all the useless copies come from? Even the computer had many redundant files.
What organizations/services should I pay ahead? Well, I joined a different appraisal association, one more economical.
Debated on purchasing a NASS for storage redundancy and safety. I am not a big fan of total cloud backup yet.
Organized the order of the computer subdirectories and nested a few.

2017 is ending calmly, no immediate due dates looming. At this time 2018 looks like it will start out slow except for estates. The number of reports was down for 2017 but income was up slightly.

I still have a few hours to think of the prepays. &! did I forget anything! - need to write down the end of year mileage.

Not going to tinker outside in the single digit temperatures with a brisk wind. Still a bunch of stuff on the desk, file 13 for most.

How are you doing?

JTip

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Buying computer/office supplies.....few toners, couple drums, paper and the like. One last chance for a write off with an invoice dated 12/31/2017. I should go buy a truck tomorrow......

Tom Woolford

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Built a new computer and moved everything the last few days. Completely seamless and no data lost. Reestablished off site backup, RAID setup and emergency "Oh crap the house is burning down" external drive. Highly recommend off-site backup and other redundant backup solutions. This is probably my last build so I went all out. I need the deduction.

Rick Stillman

Professional Status
State
Colorado
Why go all out Tom? Appraising is laughingly simple. How much CPU power do you need to sort a column of numbers or paste a full color (which is so much better than those half color ones) photo?

I just educated an appraiser buddy of mine that bought a i-7K unlocked monster... for appraising. Cost him a grand, on clearance. I had an i-3 2120 which worked just great for appraisals, but I replaced it with an i-5. Not for the power, but my machine is corrupt (5 years of updates, etc - too many patches on patches), and instead of rebuilding it, I decided to put the effort into a new machine at the same time. I went with a SSD this time, which is like going from a skate board to a Harley.

I love building PCs myself, but it's not cost or time effective. The last one I built is liquid cooled, unlocked i-7K, RAID 10 4 Tb HDDs, 500 GB SSD boot drive, 32 GB RAM, a 950 ti 3 GB GPU, and an overclocked MSI MB to hold everything together. To touch on just a few of the high points. Only the best! I sure don't use that for piddly appraisals. That monster takes on HD video with nary a hiccup, then blinks and wants more.

Give me the specs when you feel like gearing your brain to something a lot more interesting than 1004s. I wish there was money in PCs, cause I can make fire breathing screaming monsters that shred whatever they encounter!

DTB

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Illinois
WOW, I used to buy older model Emachines-LOL. :shrug:
Every month dump everything to 2 thumb drives. 1 in my safe the other in my parents safe.

When computer died, I bought the next one, usually more powerful and cheaper than the last.

For trading, upgraded to a refurbished Dell with a trading program on the tablet for emergency use (travel):sleeping:

JTip

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Why go all out Tom? Appraising is laughingly simple. How much CPU power do you need to sort a column of numbers or paste a full color (which is so much better than those half color ones) photo?

I just bought an i7 7th gen, 32gb ram, 1060 nvidia graphics, 512 ssd and 2tb hd. It's for 'appraising'.....................$1k off the gross........

edit: anyone want to assemble an AF Pubg Team? lol

residentialguy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Minnesota
I have a Sunway TaihuLight computor which uses a total of 40,960 SW26010 manycore 64-bit RISC processors based on the Sunway architecture. Each processor chip contains 256 processing cores, and an additional four auxiliary cores for system management (also RISC cores, just more fully featured) for a total of 10,649,600 CPU cores. Operating system is Sunway RaiseOS 2.0.5 (based on Linux). It has 1.31 PB (5591 TB/s total bandwidth) of Memory and 20 PB of storage. It's speed is 1.45 GHz (3.06 TFlops single CPU, 105 PFLOPS Linpack, 125 PFLOPS peak)

I wanted something that could handle the complex jobs while posting on the AF. :alcoholic:

Sid Holderly

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Indiana
When everything gets to the Cloud you only need a lowly Chromebook & a large external monitor to do any appraisal, with an onsite attached hard drive for backup. In the meantime, a middle of the road desktop is quite adequate is it can power multiple monitors.

21 below this am, I will stay inside and sort reference material. That 1994 and 2001 cost books and do I need a 2" binder on Hydronic Adjustment Support, all can probably be discarded, well ?
And those blueprints for construction reports over 7 years old. The 1993 MLS books are going to stay. Those old program CD's can go and the old hard drives in a box under the desk.

I will have a little more room after today. With everything on the NET do I need any of these binders of support stuff?

residentialguy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Minnesota
This whole "everything in a cloud" gives me the hebbie jebbies :cautious:

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
My last computer I purchased was an Asus gaming computer. It was the only thing I could find that had a power supply to run 3 monitors. Good thing I did that because I had problems last year and the tech guy said my whole system would have crashed if I would not have had such a powerful cpu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks