• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

4 Or 5 Units?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought fannie mae expanded into multifamily recently.

Fannie Mae Multifamily Loan Program Overview

The Fannie Mae DUS Multifamily Loan program is one of the single largest sources of capital to the multifamily housing market. The Fannie Mae Multifamily lending platform provides financing for the acquisition or refinancing of multifamily properties, including, 5+ unit apartment buildings and condominiums, Seniors Housing, Student Housing, Cooperatives, Affordable Housing and Manufactured Housing.

Fannie does' purchase some but most are special programs for low income housing and seniors but most lenders are not involved- If the original poster ends up doing it as 5 units most likely the lender will not fund a loan.

The terms do not seem like they are all that unfavorable. Seems like the biggest difference is maybe the ability to get 30 year fixed for 1-4 units.
The big difference out-here is a FHA loan limit on 4-units is up to $1,307,000-One unit has to be owner occupied and buyer can place a very small down payment and seller can pay 5% of his costs - A 5 Unit in the same range would require a minimum down payment of 20% or more depending on the units cash flow and expenses so in most cases the borrower woudl have to pony up $270,000 to $325,000 down and maybe more if the property does not debt service - Also many of our 4 units are not in rent control areas but 5 or more units do fall into the requirement and there is another issue- Out here nobody wants a 5 unit building, in fact I once owned a 6 unit and I obtained permits to convert it into a legal 4 unit - I guess it depends on market areas but in my opinion no advantage in a 5 unit and a PITA to sell.

Dan, where is the property located?

The terms do not seem like they are all that unfavorable. Seems like the biggest difference is maybe the ability to get 30 year fixed for 1-4 units.

Yup, the rates aren't that bad but back when I was buying 5+ the terms were for 5 years with balloon or re-fi needed at that time.

Last edited:
Does the municipality do rental certifications? Occupancy Certs? How many of those are there for that building? Records might say 5+ but records can be outdated. Occupancy and rental certs are usually more up to date and you can never assume the local gov't left hand knows what the right is doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back