• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Advice For A Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShellMitch5

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Florida
Hi. I'm new around here so please forgive me if this has been asked before too many times.
I am a RE sales associate in south Florida and not long after getting into the business I discovered that I loved the valuation part better than the sales part so I took classes to become an appraiser.
But what now? I honestly don't know where to start in finding a position as a trainee. I have spoken to the few appraisers that I know and they pretty much have all told me the same thing. That taking on a trainee would actually cost them money and they just don't have the business. It seems odd though that my last sale, the bank said that there is an appraiser shortage and that it why it took nearly three weeks for them to schedule a VA inspection. I've also been told that the fact that I have a BS degree would make me more difficult to hire. Is this true?

Anyone have any advice for me on how to get my foot in the door? I would be willing to work either full time or part time and I don't need health insurance or benefits, should I mention this portion of the equation when reaching out to appraisers?

Always difficult getting started, especially in what is effectively a down market.
When the market turns around you'll be a hot commodity, but that can take a while.
Famous Quote: "Markets can remain irrational longer than you or I can remain solvent"
....and
that also applies to market downturns.

You can just keep knocking on doors, or, keep selling homes, and keep knocking on doors.
You also might keep your eyes open for position in Assessor's office, and any other relevant government job. My experience is, government mostly expands, rarely contracts.
Good Luck !

If I were you I would spend many hours scouring this forum for answers previously given to others with the same question. Also search this forum for the term "appraiser shortage" and read the comments thoroughly.
Hopefully those comments and information will give you clarity about what you're getting into before making the commitment.
Good luck to you.

Hi. I'm new around here so please forgive me if this has been asked before too many times.
I am a RE sales associate in south Florida and not long after getting into the business I discovered that I loved the valuation part better than the sales part so I took classes to become an appraiser.
But what now? I honestly don't know where to start in finding a position as a trainee. I have spoken to the few appraisers that I know and they pretty much have all told me the same thing. That taking on a trainee would actually cost them money and they just don't have the business. It seems odd though that my last sale, the bank said that there is an appraiser shortage and that it why it took nearly three weeks for them to schedule a VA inspection. I've also been told that the fact that I have a BS degree would make me more difficult to hire. Is this true?

Anyone have any advice for me on how to get my foot in the door? I would be willing to work either full time or part time and I don't need health insurance or benefits, should I mention this portion of the equation when reaching out to appraisers?

It can be very hard to find a sponsor. A lot depends on your territory. When I wanted to transition from residential to commercial appraisal I commuted 1.45 to the office. I would keep looking online, but I would also contact the local Appraisal Institute chapter.

I have no idea why having your BS would be a problem and ignore the idea that would be an issue. Have you taken any of the appraisal courses? If not you should! Another idea would be to check out some of the university certification programs in real estate. If you are younger, ie under 30, and have a finance degree you could approach one of the larger banks or valuation firms as an analyst. A benefit to that is they will pay for your education.

On another note, sometimes an appraiser's client doesn't permit apprentices to work on assignments; this can impact hiring opportunities in your area. Good luck!

Are you looking to go residential or commercial? If commercial, I can help.

Search for brokers who are also appraisers. You might pick up hours by helping in any way. Think multiple mentors/signers. Try to get in with a bank on the value side based on your RE experience. Save 1 1/2 years of income to cover the time when you go all out on training versus regular job, keep job until saved coin.

There may well be a shortage of VA appraisers because the VA controls how many there are and what area they can cover. We have ONE VA appraiser in my county and need one more ......but the VA wheels turn slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back