• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Air Certification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nancy Heiss

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
I have received an assignment with instructions to include an 'AIR Independence Statement'. In the past, I have gotten requests for fee quotes with this particular requirement and I have always replied that the AIR is not for the appraiser to complete, but is a part of Fannie's Selling Guide. This is the first actual assignment I have received that requires this Cert. Is it reasonable to include comments with this verbiage. 'The Appraiser Independence Requirements (AIR) were initiated by Fannie Mae as part of their Selling Guide. The Fannie Mae Selling Guide is for those that sell loans to Fannie Mae, not for appraisers'. Is there anything else I might add? Thank you for your comments and insights.

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Pennsylvania
:rof:

There are days I wonder why I don't drink.

Here is Fannie's FAQ for AIR
https://www.fanniemae.com/content/FAQ/appraiser-independence-requirements-faqs.pdf

All you can do as an appraiser is say???????????????
nothing.

Here is Fannie's AIR requirement:
https://www.fanniemae.com/content/fact_sheet/appraiser-independence-requirements.pdf

All you can do is say you're licensed or certified, but you don't chose you so what's the point?

See if you can communicate with someone intelligent on your client's end. Explain to them that you can't even determine if they followed AIR in regards to you, until the assignment is completed and you have been paid.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
Dear client

AIR requirements apply to lenders not appraisers. Therefore I cannot comply with AIR. Only you can.

Tom D

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
my favorite, no AMC, client gave me air statements to put into the report. all these years that's all they have ever asked me. my would i not do it. what's another page in a 40 page report. what's to 'add' besides just doing it. lenders can ask you for anything extra they want above our standards. it's your business relationship that should concern your attitude, not their lack of understanding.

Nancy Heiss

Professional Status
State
California
my favorite, no AMC, client gave me air statements to put into the report. all these years that's all they have ever asked me. my would i not do it. what's another page in a 40 page report. what's to 'add' besides just doing it. lenders can ask you for anything extra they want above our standards. it's your business relationship that should concern your attitude, not their lack of understanding.

I cannot certify AIR compliance as it is not up to the appraiser to certify it. It's got nothing to do with my business relationship with them. I have no idea what the AMC or lender is doing 'behind the scenes' to comply with AIR.

Tom D

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
I cannot certify AIR compliance as it is not up to the appraiser to certify it. It's got nothing to do with my business relationship with them. I have no idea what the AMC or lender is doing 'behind the scenes' to comply with AIR.

well, the 'air' statement i used basically said that i wasn't influenced by any party of the lender. i suppose there may be more than 1 interpretation of 'air' and how we breath it, or perhaps this isn't an 'air' statement. you may fight with your lender/AMC as you feel the need to.

'No employee, director, officer, or agent of the Seller, or any other third party acting as joint venture partner, independent contractor, appraisal company, appraisal management company, or partner on behalf of the Seller has influenced or attempted to influence the development, reporting, result, or review of this assignment through coercion, extortion, collusion, compensation, instruction, inducement, intimidation, bribery or in any other manner.

I represent and warrant that, as of the date of this Report, I have had no contact with anyone that would in any way be construed as a violation of the Appraiser Independence Requirements; the only individuals with whom I have had any contact regarding my preparation of this Report have been limited to representatives of the lender. and the individuals required for entry into the subject property for purposes of inspection. No agent or representative of lender/client whose name appears on the first page of this Report has contacted me directly.'

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Pennsylvania
So much for not producing a misleading repot. But what can you expect from an industry that either makes stuff up, or believes other people who make stuff up?

Read the AIR and then decide if you can say anything that is not misleading, nor taking on responsibility for other entities to the transaction that might violate AIR.

Collusion.

EddieB

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Tell them that their requirement to include the AIR may approach an AIR violation in itself
:whistle:

jay trotta

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Connecticut
well, the 'air' statement i used basically said that i wasn't influenced by any party of the lender. i suppose there may be more than 1 interpretation of 'air' and how we breath it, or perhaps this isn't an 'air' statement. you may fight with your lender/AMC as you feel the need to.

'No employee, director, officer, or agent of the Seller, or any other third party acting as joint venture partner, independent contractor, appraisal company, appraisal management company, or partner on behalf of the Seller has influenced or attempted to influence the development, reporting, result, or review of this assignment through coercion, extortion, collusion, compensation, instruction, inducement, intimidation, bribery or in any other manner.

I represent and warrant that, as of the date of this Report, I have had no contact with anyone that would in any way be construed as a violation of the Appraiser Independence Requirements; the only individuals with whom I have had any contact regarding my preparation of this Report have been limited to representatives of the lender. and the individuals required for entry into the subject property for purposes of inspection. No agent or representative of lender/client whose name appears on the first page of this Report has contacted me directly.'

Just a thought, in the 12+ pages of the SEL, when exceeding FNMA guidelines, would that be considered, an attempted influence to the development, reporting and result or review ?
the past few reviews I have received, a question on Condition (the Q's) and it would appear the reviewer did not understand the UAD definitions. It is not the SEL you start with, it is the end result and your final Signature & Date that will be held accountable.
Good Luck in your neighborhood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks