• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

An Idea - Feedback requested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proactive

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Washington
Wayne,

I do not use the "no comp checks" option because I like to have the opportunity to turn the comp request into a legitimate assignment. Admittedly, my success ratio is pretty low, however, in slow times one or two assignments out of ten requests helps keep me in beans. In busier times my response is usually a quote from AO-19, or no response at all.

Thanks for giving us the choice.

JSmith43

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
One of the things that bothers me about this idea is that it has no feature that allows for redemption:unsure: What if a lender/user gets religion and changes their ways based upon the proposed changes in Fannie/Freddie requirements to kick in 1/09, for example?

But I like the notion that the site image would have objective standards for users.

What about the fact that USPAP compliant desktop appraisals are available for a fee or for no fee or minimal fee? Shouldn't the prohibition really be only of activities that short cut the system? Otherwise this banning policy could be viewed as a banning of a legal, ethical alternative that happens to be part of the product choices included under the catch all term, comp check?

I think Comp Check and Value Check need to be defined for users of the service.

Head Surfer

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Wayne,

I do not use the "no comp checks" option because I like to have the opportunity to turn the comp request into a legitimate assignment. Admittedly, my success ratio is pretty low, however, in slow times one or two assignments out of ten requests helps keep me in beans. In busier times my response is usually a quote from AO-19, or no response at all.

Thanks for giving us the choice.
I definitely will always give the appraiser a choice!

Head Surfer

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
For the interim I have changed the warning to:

[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=arial,helvetica]This appraiser does NOT do comp checks (value checks). Do not submit such a request to this appraiser!

No mention of blocking or anything. If an appraiser selects the "no comp check" option the above warning will appear just above the space where the lender writes their message.

Does anyone see any problem with this?

[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Wendy

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
works for me.

Head Surfer

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
One of the things that bothers me about this idea is that it has no feature that allows for redemption:unsure: What if a lender/user gets religion and changes their ways based upon the proposed changes in Fannie/Freddie requirements to kick in 1/09, for example?

But I like the notion that the site image would have objective standards for users.

What about the fact that USPAP compliant desktop appraisals are available for a fee or for no fee or minimal fee? Shouldn't the prohibition really be only of activities that short cut the system? Otherwise this banning policy could be viewed as a banning of a legal, ethical alternative that happens to be part of the product choices included under the catch all term, comp check?

I think Comp Check and Value Check need to be defined for users of the service.
You have some good points. I think we will not be blocking for the time being since those same people could order appraisals in the future. I don't want to do anything to jeopardize any business for our apprasiers!

As far as what a "comp check" or "value check" means I think those that request them are fully aware of what they mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks