• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Another Housing Crash

Are we on the cusp of a housing crash?

• Yes

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • No

Votes: 23 39.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 18 31.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, the 44% of appraisers who believe there is a going to be a crash, how do you prepare your reports differently? Do you say, the value is $X, but whoa, the market is going to crash and then it won't be $X? How do you handle your guidance?
Good question!
We are appraising to the effective date, not a future date. That said, one should remind the user of that but still warn the lender...so you don't get "you should have told me"

Here's an example what I have put in my reports

MARKET VOLATILITY
This report is based upon the effective date and not a future value. This is not an attempt to predict the future, rather a disclosure of market warning signs for the lender to consider. Currently the market appears strong and optimistic in many ways; However, the appraiser suggests that the lender approach this optimistic appearance with caution as many aspects of the current housing market is very reminiscent of the years just prior to the 2008 housing collapse.

National median family home prices are 32 percent higher than inflation. That's similar to 2005, when they were 35 percent overvalued. The Housing Bellwether Barometer is an index of home builders and mortgage companies. In 2017, it skyrocketed like it did in 2004 and 2005. That's according to its creator, Stack Financial Management, who used it to predict the 2008 financial crisis. Home prices in Denver, Houston, Miami, and Washington, D.C. are at least 10 percent higher than sustainable levels, according to CoreLogic. Warning signs are seen in the stocks, as well. Overall, the S&P 500’s index of home builders increased 75 percent last year, about four times as much as the stock market as a whole.

In 2017, 35 percent of Fannie Mae's loans required mortgage insurance. That's about the level in 2006. In some ways, these loans are worse. Fannie and Freddie lowered their definition of subprime from 660 to 620. That means the banks are no longer calling borrowers with scores between 620 and 660 subprime. The Fed has projected three rate increases for this year, which raises the risk that today’s highly inflated housing market will again end badly. A rate rise from just 4 to 5 percent for a 30-year loan would drive up monthly mortgage costs by 12 percent. For buyers, that’s on top of the annual median price gain, reported at 7% for existing homes in November, according to CoreLogic. By comparison, disposable income, or earnings adjusted for taxes and inflation, increased just 1.9 percent, according to data from the Bureau of Economic Analysis.

I have a relatively detailed market analysis description, but end my comments with something similar to:

The client and intended users are cautioned that the appraisal is a “snapshot in time” and that markets can, and often do change rapidly.

Good question!
We are appraising to the effective date, not a future date. That said, one should remind the user of that but still warn the lender...so you don't get "you should have told me"

Here's an example what I have put in my reports

MARKET VOLATILITY
This report is based upon the effective date and not a future value. This is not an attempt to predict the future, rather a disclosure of market warning signs for the lender to consider. Currently the market appears strong and optimistic in many ways; However, the appraiser suggests that the lender approach this optimistic appearance with caution as many aspects of the current housing market is very reminiscent of the years just prior to the 2008 housing collapse.

National median family home prices are 32 percent higher than inflation. That's similar to 2005, when they were 35 percent overvalued. The Housing Bellwether Barometer is an index of home builders and mortgage companies. In 2017, it skyrocketed like it did in 2004 and 2005. That's according to its creator, Stack Financial Management, who used it to predict the 2008 financial crisis. Home prices in Denver, Houston, Miami, and Washington, D.C. are at least 10 percent higher than sustainable levels, according to CoreLogic. Warning signs are seen in the stocks, as well. Overall, the S&P 500’s index of home builders increased 75 percent last year, about four times as much as the stock market as a whole.

In 2017, 35 percent of Fannie Mae's loans required mortgage insurance. That's about the level in 2006. In some ways, these loans are worse. Fannie and Freddie lowered their definition of subprime from 660 to 620. That means the banks are no longer calling borrowers with scores between 620 and 660 subprime. The Fed has projected three rate increases for this year, which raises the risk that today’s highly inflated housing market will again end badly. A rate rise from just 4 to 5 percent for a 30-year loan would drive up monthly mortgage costs by 12 percent. For buyers, that’s on top of the annual median price gain, reported at 7% for existing homes in November, according to CoreLogic. By comparison, disposable income, or earnings adjusted for taxes and inflation, increased just 1.9 percent, according to data from the Bureau of Economic Analysis.

Holy moly!!!! :LOL:

Holy moly!!!! :LOL:
Thanks. I know what you're trying to say
respect.gif~c200

Reactions: Eli
Thanks. I know what you're trying to say
respect.gif~c200

Hail to the King of the Useless Boiler Plate!!!

As useless as the language found on the backside of a parking lot ticket stub. :eek:

Hail to the King of the Useless Boiler Plate!!!

As useless as the language found on the backside of a parking lot ticket stub. :eek:
Useless...until you land in court with, UCBruin should have warned us. When the sheet hits the fan again and the market crashes, they will blame the appraiser...again.

Useless...until you land in court with, UCBruin should have warned us. When the sheet hits the fan again and the market crashes, they will blame the appraiser...again.

Your boiler plates kept you out of court after the last crash!!!!???

You sure that wasn't due to your rabbit's foot, clove of garlic, chicken claw, rubber biscuit...

Oh brother... :)

Oil prices could soon 'spike' toward $100 a barrel regardless of OPEC and Russia, strategist says
  • Prices in the oil market have been steadily rising since last year, with global benchmark Brent climbing to multi-year highs of $80 a barrel earlier this month.
  • However, more recently, crude futures have slipped amid renewed fears of an oversupplied energy market.
  • Parker said that while Saudi Arabia had a "very strong vested interest" in keeping crude futures at around $70 to $80 a barrel, a move toward $100 a barrel could soon occur in the event of a "complete collapse" in Venezuelan crude production.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/28/oil...dless-of-opec-and-russia-strategist-says.html

No, boiler plates were created out of the reaction towards appraisers after the last crash.

Besides being USELESS...
Your boiler plate is also UNTESTED and UNPROVEN.... :LOL:

Good grief!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back