• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

ANSI Question regarding a one story home

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll take snow, sleet or whatever in cold weather. Please don't give me freezing rain. :):)

I literally have 100 ft pine trees where it sounds like a war in freezing rain. None has hit house yet. The whole top has broke out many times on the pine. Like 10-20 ft has broke out in freezing rain.

But what is there to catch? It's their own exception procedure...
Read the example they give. It applies to things like berm homes, hillside ranches and the like. Structures that by their very design have no "above grade" area per ANSI definition

But isn't that exception procedure for a few specific conditons, rather than the ordinary a ceiling is lower than 7 feet ?
I read it (my interpretation) as use the exception where there is little or no actual 'official' GLA, or reporting such would be very misleading or confusing. This is always vagueness (UAD anyone) wherever Fannie is concerned, so I feel that gives us more leeway than perhaps some appraisers believe.

I'm not afraid to explain my thought process if anyone--client, Fannie, state board, or judge--ever asks. I feel good about using it in these types of instances.
I do agree, Fannie may end up disagreeing, and that is fine. But until then, I will stay the course.

Read the example they give. It applies to things like berm homes, hillside ranches and the like. Structures that by their very design have no "above grade" area per ANSI definition
But isn't that what we are talking about? Low ceiling homes technically have no official above grade area per ANSI.

But isn't that what we are talking about? Low ceiling homes technically have no official above grade area per ANSI.
A house lacking above grade due to a hillside or berm is a different animal that a house that is fully above grade but has a low ceiling height below 7 feet.

A house lacking above grade due to a hillside or berm is a different animal that a house that is fully above grade but has a low ceiling height below 7 feet.
While that is true, I still hold that the best way to affect change is to challenge a policy directly. I want to make Fannie think about what they are saying/requiring. I may read a little more leeway into Fannie's exception policies than others do. That's just how I roll though.

I mean, GLA is GLA, right? One definition. Why should Fannie care what aspect of the definition fails?

I will say this--IF Fannie comes back and questions or admonishes my thought process in reports like this, I will definitely let everyone know. :)

While that is true, I still hold that the best way to affect change is to challenge a policy directly. I want to make Fannie think about what they are saying/requiring. I may read a little more leeway into Fannie's exception policies than others do. That's just how I roll though.

I mean, GLA is GLA, right? One definition. Why should Fannie care what aspect of the definition fails?

I will say this--IF Fannie comes back and questions or admonishes my thought process in reports like this, I will definitely let everyone know. :)
Not IMO; Gross is exterior / Interior limits are useable space

Exactly why I had to retire my bow & arrow for exterior 2nd floor meausremints....lol

How Does the Standards Development Process Work Domestically?​

The process of creating voluntary standards in the United States is guided by ANSI’s principles of consensus, due process, transparency, and openness, and depends heavily on data-gathering and compromises among a diverse range of stakeholders. ANSI ensures that access to the standards process, including an appeals mechanism, is made available to anyone directly or materially affected by a standard that is under development. Thousands of individuals, companies, government agencies, and other organizations such as labor, industrial, and consumer groups voluntarily contribute their knowledge, talents, and efforts to standards development.

Hallmarks of the ANSI process include:

• Consensus on a proposed standard by a group or "consensus body" that includes representatives from materially affected and interested parties
  • Broad-based public review and comment on draft standards
  • Consideration of, and response to, comments submitted by voting members of the relevant consensus body and by public-review commenters
  • Incorporation of approved changes into a draft standard
  • A right of appeal by any participant who believes due process principles were not sufficiently respected during the standard’s development
The ANSI process serves all standardization efforts in the United States by providing and promoting a process that withstands scrutiny while protecting the rights and interests of every participant. In essence, ANSI standards quicken the market acceptance of products while making clear how to improve the safety of those products for the protection of consumers.

yeah sure voluntary

I have personally used GX001 for the ceiling height less than 7' issue. Zero kickback. Zero stips. People think ANSI is Nazi Germany or something. Just explain WHAT you did, and your RATIONALE for doing so.

This reminds me of the condition thing, where is one tiny aspect of a house was C6, appraisers thought UAD/FNMA was forcing them to declare the entire subject C6. Clearly not so.
Yep. Same as it's always been.

edit

ansi is like reading a how to have sex manual written by hunter. it will get you there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back