• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Appraisal on Same Property for different client

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would never consider homes that different than the subject unless there was simply nothing else to utilize. How do you support they are similar if they are not the same age, same size or same quality? You would need at least one similar age, two story home with a basement to support differences in the market unless there simply are not any. Even so, would go back over a year or expand my search to other towns for a similar style property. I just did that this week. I had to go to another town for a 1955 3/1 home with no garage. I had 2/1's, 3/2s and 10+ years either direction and most remodeled (mine was not), so I added a couple of sales from the next town that had exact age, size and condition homes to support my adjustments for the sales in that town.
My concern is that they 1) didn’t have my tax information, and 2) my property information is unlisted because of my profession. Therefore, I am wondering how the pulled comparable properties for my home.
That . . . "the report . . .indicated that office staff had pulled comparable properties" would IMO require either the signature of those individuals, or the extent of the involvement to be clearly identified in the report. Failure to do so (again IMHO) is a regulatory violation because the comparable selection process is a critical factor.

I disagree GAMA
I can ask my 13 yr old to run an MLS search based on certain criteria
That doesn't take a lic/cert to do. Choosing which of those SALES are considered COMPS, now that requires the lic/cert

I disagree GAMA
I can ask my 13 yr old to run an MLS search based on certain criteria
That doesn't take a lic/cert to do. Choosing which of those SALES are considered COMPS, now that requires the lic/cert
I thought it was implied that the staff selected the comps, altough a judicious "selection" of properties can reveal the exact comps that one should use.

I've almost used the subject as the perfect comparable property....for itself. LOL. Does that count????
No because the Private First Appraisal was not a sale so how could it be a comp ?

That . . . "the report . . .indicated that office staff had pulled comparable properties" would IMO require either the signature of those individuals, or the extent of the involvement to be clearly identified in the report. Failure to do so (again IMHO) is a regulatory violation because the comparable selection process is a critical factor.
No thats not true and it does not fall under significant assistance that has to be disclosed. Also how would
a Unlicensed Assistant Sign Reports ?
Please take some classes on what is administrative versus "significant assistance" is and how you treat it.

Per USPAP AO-31,”Significant Appraisal Assistance is related to the appraisal process and requires appraisal competency. Therefore, only those acting as an appraiser signs
a certification, or are identified as providing significant appraisal assistance in a certification.May 18, 2021

Again-- Anyone can be trained to run MLS Comps, even a 15 year old, and as long as that person does not tell the appraiser which ones he has to use and what a value is. --its all just data collection. BUT if the appraiser was that stupid to allow a un-licensed person develop his values then he is using Unlicensed assistants to do his appraisals for him and he is just rubber stamping them using his signature and license.

Per USPAP AO-31,”Significant Appraisal Assistance is related to the appraisal process and requires appraisal competency. Therefore, only those acting as an appraiser sign a certification, or are identified as providing significant appraisal assistance in a certification. A Comp Runner or Form Filler is not acting as an-appraiser in fact they could be sitting in India at $5 per hour doing it for the appraiser :)

Thank you everyone for your input through this. It is a very odd situation that has come about and there are many other details that I could mention that would (I’m sure) further go to validate our concerns.

I am not only concerned about his involvement in both sides of the transaction, but I am very concerned about the quality of the company’s underlying appraisal of the property to me.

I think when it comes down to it, I really just want to feel like the appraiser is following through with his word to me. Though it is a relatively small community where I live, I wouldn’t think it would be difficult to find another appraiser.

I have given notice to the appraiser of my concerns and asked him to decline the new assessment. I am uncertain as to what he will do, but to me it seems simple -Follow through with his word.

Thanks again for everyone’s education and wisdom.

Definitely not the case. My profession requires ethical standards in private and public affairs. I would never jeopardize my livelihood or risk harm to another.

I was never told that anyone other than the original appraiser would have a hand in the appraisal. I didn’t find that out until I received the report. It indicated that office staff had pulled comparable properties.

My concern is that they 1) didn’t have my tax information, and 2) my property information is unlisted because of my profession. Therefore, I am wondering how the pulled comparable properties for my home.

In reviewing the comparable properties listed in the report, all we’re ranch style homes decades older than my home. My home is a two story home with a finished basement. None of the comparable resembled my home, had the quality of my home, or were built in the same decade.

I have some significant concerns about what was done. To me, it seems like the only item that was similar in the comparable properties was above ground square footage.
I don't understand the big deal about the tax information. I'm assuming the appraiser you hired measured the house and got the relevant characteristics at the time of the appraisal. The tax information does not figure heavily as it is incorrect most of the time, as assessor employeesdont generally get interior access. My personal inspection is what I use to select comparable sales. Certain blanks like parcel number, site size, name of owner would need to be filled out on the form, if the site size somehow cannot be obtained by a survey provided or Plat on record. That would have to be provided to the appraiser. In our state the listing agreement would have a property condition disclosure report. Are you the original owner? If not, some of this information is available from before you owned the property. Assuming you pay taxes like everyone else, someone has the tax information. The house is not invisible, is it? Years ago, when I worked for the state, a select team from DPA would have to go to measure and get all the information correct every time a certain former Vice President added something to his compound (he was always very nice about it). Also, at the county I worked for, our aerial photography was supplied by Homeland Security. I was told by a former Naval Commander I worked with that we didn't have access to the same satellite images the military would have, just detailed enough for us to review GIS maps for reappraisal, but he said Homeland Security has imagery that they can see in your windows if they want to. I'm just curious. Will you sign the contract as the seller? Forgive me, I've done famous and infamous) people's homes and just not seen the level of concern expressed here. Maybe you are in a non disclosure state. Those are nightmares to do research in. I'm just really curious because we go to all these classes regarding confidentiality, yet for me, it just has not come up that often on just a run of the mill appraisal. I do not do "listing appraisals" though some appraisers love those.

No thats not true and it does not fall under significant assistance that has to be disclosed. Also how would
a Unlicensed Assistant Sign Reports ?
Please take some classes on what is administrative versus "significant assistance" is and how you treat it.

Per USPAP AO-31,”Significant Appraisal Assistance is related to the appraisal process and requires appraisal competency. Therefore, only those acting as an appraiser signs
a certification, or are identified as providing significant appraisal assistance in a certification.May 18, 2021

Again-- Anyone can be trained to run MLS Comps, even a 15 year old, and as long as that person does not tell the appraiser which ones he has to use and what a value is. --its all just data collection. BUT if the appraiser was that stupid to allow a un-licensed person develop his values then he is using Unlicensed assistants to do his appraisals for him and he is just rubber stamping them using his signature and license.
Agreed. And thank you for the reference citation.

I am confused with OP's concerns about property secrecy...if a 2nd, new appraiser has to visit property, is there something THEY are going to NOT discover about the property that the 1st appraiser DID?

OK, it is not on google maps for some reason, fine. A new appraisal will not change that. Perhaps (guessing here) there is some large, unpermitted addition or illegal use that the county does not know about, but 1st appraiser does. Won't the 2nd appraiser find this out too, and have to disclose it? Whoever it is?

Unless the 2nd appraisal order is a desktop. If that is the case, then I can see the angst, but otherwise, I do not.
I'm picturing Batman's lair at this point. I've discovered so many hidden "safe rooms" security camera rooms, secret passages (that was a drug bust house) etc. over the years that one time the mansion owner was shocked I was able to deduce there was a hidden room, just based on my floor plan interior not lining up with outside walls, hidden bunkers, the bookcase that turns in. I was like hey, what's behind this wall and the guy just said how'd you know that? and pushed the wall open to reveal a whole room approximately how many square feet I thought it was be. I lived next door in an apartment to an actual castle while in college which had secret tunnels underneath leading to various other Mansions in the area. I love architecture.

I'm picturing Batman's lair at this point. I've discovered so many hidden "safe rooms" security camera rooms, secret passages (that was a drug bust house) etc. over the years that one time the mansion owner was shocked I was able to deduce there was a hidden room, just based on my floor plan interior not lining up with outside walls, hidden bunkers, the bookcase that turns in. I was like hey, what's behind this wall and the guy just said how'd you know that? and pushed the wall open to reveal a whole room approximately how many square feet I thought it was be. I lived next door in an apartment to an actual castle while in college which had secret tunnels underneath leading to various other Mansions in the area. I love architecture.
I kinda remember reading Fountainhead as a young child, and then watching the movie. And when I appraised a SFR in a non-gated hillside PUD recently, the thought of planning the entire development was very thought-provoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back