• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gtorres028

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Illinois
Hello Everyone!

I am new here! I recently completed my coursework to become an appraisal trainee. I have however, had some difficulty finding someone who is willing to supervise. I am hoping someone here can help or point me a positive direction? I am located in the Chicagoland Area. I also hold a bachelor degree in Business.

Any help is much appreciated! Trying to start a new journey and it's been very challenging so far!

I’m sorry no one has responded to you. I will.

Don’t even think about it. Find other work, find it now, and don’t look back.

I’m just being honest.

I'm sorry to say that I agree with ExplainDNA. Especially where you are at in your appraisal journey. Write the classes off at tax time and move on...

Appraisers with decades of experience are leaving the field. There's just no work...and the work that's out there is not paying living wages. The appraisal field is in great flux... and not for the better.

Use your bachelor's to catapult yourself into furthering your education or to just get a job. Sorry for the bad news.

I'm curious. Do you know the challenges appraisers go through especially a Trainee?
It's not easy but if you have the passion to appraise, go for it. Just realize it's not a growth career in terms of money.

Staff job somewhere if you can find it. Like an entry level job with like Dept of Trans, a bank/lender, idk. Study that possibility.

You would cost an independent mentor to train you for a while. The AMC is getting the fee and more that independent appraisers used to get that would help them train you.

I don't know any appraisers in the Chicago area... so, no reason to respond.

I also don't know any appraisers who would be willing to supervise a train at this time.

As some surfers say....
"You should have been here yesterday (2019/2020)".... :peace:

Staff job somewhere if you can find it. Like an entry level job with like Dept of Trans, a bank/lender, idk. Study that possibility.

You would cost an independent mentor to train you for a while. The AMC is getting the fee and more that independent appraisers used to get that would help them train you.
1705590932691.png

Call them up, ask for the Chief Appraiser and dazzle them with your desire and detective work.

Gto,
I went to an Residential Appraisal 101 class and looked around the room and saw a group that was young, ambitious who enjoyed their work. I can recall two appraisers who said they were starting a company and looking for appraisers to join them and they in a short time had become the big dog appraisal firm. Another guy said he was going to be an MAI, CPA, and an attorney.....he did get his MAI, re-located to the state capital (where the gov't fee work is) and know he has among other successes an oceanfront second home.

From talking to appraisers in that class I was told that working in an assessor's office was a good way to get started, which I did for 8-years (5-years too long), but had a steady income, bought houses, and had a couple of kids.

I don't know what classes are like now, I'm sure its more diverse, and the tone isn't as optimistic, but go to the monthly meetings of appraisers in your area. Be willing to re-locate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back