• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone for the replies! I understand becoming an appraiser may be difficult at this time especially where I am located (Chicago). I am also going on my second year as a broker. I would honestly just like to learn the industry of appraising, to one, hopefully make a little extra income on the side but two differentiate myself from other agents and potentially win listings.

Lot's of agents are leaving the industry as brokers also but also lots of agents who are staying are doing fine. There's ups and downs in every industry I get that. But while it's down I would like to learn so when it's back up I can compete and have a name for myself.

If I'm winning listings, that means, I also have the potential to refer business to the appraisal company I work for. Through clients, lenders, and attorneys I network with. So, while I may "cost" an AMC money in the beginning, I also have the potential to generate income in the future.

That's just my thought process however. I invested my time to become licensed and if someone wants to invest their time in training me, well that's what I may just become. An investment for future referral business.

Last edited:
Here's hoping your gamble / investment pays off.

Good luck!
Life is a gamble! You can either take risks and hope it pays off or you can stay put and be happy staying stagnant. I am also applying to become a pilot. & if that pays off my sphere of influence will grow exponentially.

Hello Everyone!

I am new here! I recently completed my coursework to become an appraisal trainee. I have however, had some difficulty finding someone who is willing to supervise. I am hoping someone here can help or point me a positive direction? I am located in the Chicagoland Area. I also hold a bachelor degree in Business.

Any help is much appreciated! Trying to start a new journey and it's been very challenging so far!
Speak with TJ for some advice. He is well respected in the appraisal industry.

Staff job somewhere if you can find it. Like an entry level job with like Dept of Trans, a bank/lender, idk. Study that possibility.

You would cost an independent mentor to train you for a while. The AMC is getting the fee and more that independent appraisers used to get that would help them train you.
Is that new? Get it?

Thanks everyone for the replies! I understand becoming an appraiser may be difficult at this time especially where I am located (Chicago). I am also going on my second year as a broker. I would honestly just like to learn the industry of appraising, to one, hopefully make a little extra income on the side but two differentiate myself from other agents and potentially win listings.

Lot's of agents are leaving the industry as brokers also but also lots of agents who are staying are doing fine. There's ups and downs in every industry I get that. But while it's down I would like to learn so when it's back up I can compete and have a name for myself.

If I'm winning listings, that means, I also have the potential to refer business to the appraisal company I work for. Through clients, lenders, and attorneys I network with. So, while I may "cost" an AMC money in the beginning, I also have the potential to generate income in the future.

That's just my thought process however. I invested my time to become licensed and if someone wants to invest their time in training me, well that's what I may just become. An investment for future referral business.
Good that you also working as a real estate agent.
I knew of an appraiser who later became a real estate agent for good.
Each will find what they like the best. With passion, you wi

No fooling?
You know otherwise? He was very instrumental in the ICAP. I know many Appraisers that know him and I have never heard negative comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back