• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Assignments For Al Appraisers

Status
Not open for further replies.

undergroundPOP

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Hi everyone,

I currently have an AT license, and I'm steadily accruing my hours as a trainee. My initial goal was to upgrade directly from an AT to AG, but taking into consideration my wife and my desire to have a baby in the next year or so, I've decided to explore the option of acquiring an AL license. I'm hoping to do some independent residential work while I continue to pursue my AG license.

My only concern is that clients (mainly banks) will be reluctant to give work to an AL appraiser. To those who have been in my shoes, or those who currently hold AL licenses, have you been able to get work as a licensed residential appraiser? or do banks and other client bases tend to stay away from AL appraisers?

nottrav

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
If you just want to go for hours and experience. Sign up with Pro-tek and clear capital, Rels etc. you will have as many orders for $225 as you want. I just had 11 orders from pro-tek in inbox (what made me think of it) I didn't even open emails but deleted them.

undergroundPOP

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
California
If you just want to go for hours and experience. Sign up with Pro-tek and clear capital, Rels etc. you will have as many orders for $225 as you want. I just had 11 orders from pro-tek in inbox (what made me think of it) I didn't even open emails but deleted them.
Thanks for your reply nottrav. So I'm assuming that these companies that you mentioned are AMCs that send out orders for appraisal? Are the appraisals area/market specific or pretty broad and you're asked to chase them around?

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
Why not start with a CR license instead of the lower license?

You are training to be a CG, does your current mentor do residential?

Most respected clients will not take you without five years of having a license.

hastalavista

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
If you are a trainee license level and you have been accumulating commercial experience hours, notwithstanding the anticipated change in your family's composition (congratulations, by the way!), my advice is to find a firm where you can earn a Commercial Trainee wage and stay focused on the commercial track.

I don't know where in California you live. In the San Francisco Bay Area, there are a number of commercial firms that would hire a licensed trainee who has been on the commercial-training path.

You may want to check with your local Appraisal Institute Chapter: call and ask for the Executive Director and find out if they have a jobs-posting section on their web site. Or (better yet), go attend a chapter meeting that is close to you and ask to introduce yourself as a trainee looking for a firm to work for.

Good luck!

Denis

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
My initial goal was to upgrade directly from an AT to AG
Although I enjoy the RES side of things, I do encourage anyone getting into this profession to go towards the CG license. That offers so many more opportunities. I'm not in CA, so I won't speak toward all the licensing, etc there but would say go for at least the CR or CG. Don't limit yourself.

undergroundPOP

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
California
Although I enjoy the RES side of things, I do encourage anyone getting into this profession to go towards the CG license. That offers so many more opportunities. I'm not in CA, so I won't speak toward all the licensing, etc there but would say go for at least the CR or CG. Don't limit yourself.
bnmappraisal, thanks for your advice.

My intention is to continue accruing hours and get my AG in another year's time, I'm just looking to make some supplementary income to grow my family before another year passes. The biological clock is ticking! :eyecrazy:

undergroundPOP

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
California
If you are a trainee license level and you have been accumulating commercial experience hours, notwithstanding the anticipated change in your family's composition (congratulations, by the way!), my advice is to find a firm where you can earn a Commercial Trainee wage and stay focused on the commercial track.

I don't know where in California you live. In the San Francisco Bay Area, there are a number of commercial firms that would hire a licensed trainee who has been on the commercial-training path.

You may want to check with your local Appraisal Institute Chapter: call and ask for the Executive Director and find out if they have a jobs-posting section on their web site. Or (better yet), go attend a chapter meeting that is close to you and ask to introduce yourself as a trainee looking for a firm to work for.

Good luck!

Denis
Denis, that's really helpful advice. Can you elaborate more on the "Commercial Trainee Wage"? I'm performing fee based work where I get 35% of the job's fees. The only downside is that the firm that I work for specializes in complex properties, so the rate at which I can complete these assignments is pretty slow. Now if I were appraising single tenant industrial buildings, then that would be a piece of cake compared to what I'm usually working on. I feel like I'm lucky enough to have found a mentor to train me...

Having said all of that, thanks for your advice. I'll definitely check out the local chapter to just expand my network!

Eli

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
It depends on your focus. If you are focusing on government insured mortgage work, it depends on where you are and the future is unpredictable because the government is insuring the loans and deposits. I don't know your local lenders. FHA would limit you.

If you are focusing on other intended users, then you might be fine.

Lee in L.A.

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Sign up with Pro-tek and clear capital, Rels etc. you will have as many orders for $225 as you want.
Make sure to buy the optional sword. You will probably want to fall on it sooner or later. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks