• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Basically, I Need a Basic Ride-By, That's Basically It...

Status
Not open for further replies.
jt:

Just having someone agree with what I believe to be common sense gives me "the strength to go on"

I'm not too far (NJ) from CT, so if I ever plan to travel north, Promise to stop by, bring you a "pop" (need to know your flavor of choice) and buy you a drink !!!!!


P.S.: Many of our forum regulars seem to have a "Motto"......mine is:
"THE HARDER I WORK, THE LUCKIER I GET"
 
Barbara,

Excellent explanation of what we are supposed to do/be! I salute you!!!

You are not the only one!!!!
 
The way to discourage the "Basically, I need..." request is to say: "The fee is the same, no matter what you need, because I have to do the same research as a full appraisal" . They will hang up and call the next "sucker".

Barbara, I basically agree with most of what you say. However, my recent phone call request does not fit in with your well written statements. In this instance, and in my opinion, no fee quote should be given; and no research should even begin. The caller wanted me to drive by and write a statement saying the home was not a manufactured home since it had been "built around"..........I chose to do no research and quote no fee and feel that was the right thing to do. The fee and research were not even considered.
 
BarbaraJ: I agree with you. Regardless of what form of report the client orders, whether it is a URAR or a 2055 or a review or an oral report, or a 500 page narrative, etc, the research and all of Standard 1 of USPAP applies. The form of the report is Standard 2 and can have many variations. With an exterior only 2055 and typically a field review, the appraiser doesn't go on the property and measure all the improvements but all the research and due diligence applies as any other report. With a 2055 the appraiser might not do a cost approach but does consider it enough to determine whether a 2055 or a URAR would be appropriate, but again all the other research and due diligence applies. If the client requests an update and the appraiser decides that an update to an appraisal letter would be a sufficient reporting method, you might only walk through the subject but might not measure or report flood situation or zoning or highest and best use or some other items because the update is an extension of the original, those things have not changed since the original, but the research and due diligence still applies that was completed for the original. So matter what you do---don't cut corners on your research!!!! When an appraiser expresses an opinion of value, whether a range or a specific number, the appraiser has completed an appraisal (Standard 1) and the method of reporting can be almost anything verbal or written as long as it is not misleading and factual (Standard 2).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back
Top