• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Client Says Change It To 3 Bedroom. And Call The 4th Br A "study"

Status
Not open for further replies.

caleb1004

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Help! Just wanting some of ya'lls impressive appraiser feedback here.

My client called and asked me to change a report from 4 bedroom to 3 bedroom because the septic permit only allows 3 bedroom.

Seems simple enough, however, my issue is that it actually HAS a fourth bedroom. The room meets all ANSI requirements for a 4th bedroom (door, window and closet), and it is a separate room.

So i have 4 bedrooms on the grid. I did have a comment that the septic was only good for 3 bedroom, but my question is this: Do we appraise what the SUBJECT IS or what the subject is PERMITTED for ?

The Subject IS a 4 bedroom. The subject is permitted for a 3 bedroom septic.

If i call it a 3 bedroom, then i'm not really telling it like it is.

If i call it a 4 bedroom , then i'm putting client in a bind because its only permitted for 3.

What would you do? thanks for the input , i know i'm probably overthinking this....

Howard Klahr

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
How was the property initially built? Is what you are calling a 4th bedroom part of the original structure or has there been an addition?

TRESinc

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
sounds pretty simple... based on your post i would call it a 4br.

Ken B

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
If the zoning only permitted single family residences, but the owner finished off the basement as an accessory unit and was leasing it out, we couldn't call the property a duplex, could we?

caleb1004

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
North Carolina
sounds pretty simple... based on your post i would call it a 4br.
It was built new construction with 4 bedrooms and a 3 bedroom permit.... builder would like to call the 4th bedroom a study....which of course it could be....but it looks much more like a bedroom to me....and fits all the requirements for a bedroom...

graindart

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Montana
Does it matter to the typical buyer? What would the typical buyer see it as?

I don't know who this ANSI person is, but do they have a definition for den, office, library, etc?

caleb1004

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Most homes in the neighborhood are new 4 bedroom homes....but there were just a few 3 bedroom, presumably because of the same septic issue... my assumption is that even these "3" bedroom homes are really also 4 bedroom but tagged as 3 bedroom to avert the septic issues

caleb1004

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
North Carolina
yes brand new...just got the c/o ; 2 story with basement; 4 bedrooms above grade.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks