• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Collection Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

GWC

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
I recently had a private client pay me half up front and agreed to pay the second half upon delivery of the appraisal. (I don't normally do that for private clients). Long story short, he keeps coming up with excuses for not paying and then went dark. It has now been 30 days since the report was delivered. Has anyone ever worked with a collection agency and if so, can you tell me which one you recommend? Thank you!

Howard Klahr

Professional Status
State
Florida
Do you have a written engagement letter?

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Your in California .. Good luck.. You say he was a client *** Be nice maybe the guy will pay up :)

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Do you know a lawyer could write them a letter?
I think Cindy R is right, but if they did take it they would want half, most likely.

EddieB

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Oregon
I actually turned a past due account to a collection agency once. I still didn't get paid. For the last 25 years, I've not been stiffed on any account. The most successful method I have found is just to remind the client and keep sending them a note and an invoice. AMCs are easier than most because at 60 days you can remind them you really don't want to make it an issue with the state (providing your state regulates AMCs). The threat of small claims is better than perfecting a claim of small claims, cause then you still have to collect it.

Its like Woody Allen said, "90% of success is just showing up." "99% of collection success is just sending them an invoice with a note."

Artemis Fowl

Professional Status
State
Michigan
Small Claims. Collection agency probly won't take it and if they do it will be for pennies on the dollar. You are basically selling them the debt and they don't pay full price.

Or...stand outside their place in a creepy clown-suit holding a sign that reads "Pay me" for a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks