• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Comp check request coming from AppraiserUSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
Anyone else getting an unusual number of request for "comp checks" from people who look you up on Appraiser USA? I'm getting a couple every day, and YES... I have the "no comp check" feature activated on my listings.
I guess it's just like the appraisals we send, they just don't read it. :icon_rolleyes:
Wayne, maybe we need the "no comp check" statement to blink in big red italics font.:shrug:

One fellow today absolutely could not belive that I won't or don't do free comp checks. :blink: I just said... Well, I sell a service. If I give my services away, then I'm not doing any productive work to bring in the greens. :)
He went on suggesting that I must not get much work. No, not from mortgage brokers. However, I am about 6 weeks backed up with work from non-mortgage brokers who actually pay for my services. Which brings us to the ending point of this call... it's now costing me money. ;-)

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
We get 3-4 comp check inquiries a month from our AppraiserUSA ad. I look at it like it's just part of the cost of being listed first. I've never filled one of those orders.

In the past year I've noticed that the comp check requestors have become a bit more tactful and indirect about their request. Methinks that they get refusals more often now than in the past.

Sheikh Yerbouti

Professional Status
State
Arizona
I get these alot from my AppraiserUSA listing. Usually they are comp check requests for residences in outlying counties, even though my listing says no comp checks and that I only do commercial appraisals in the outlying counties.

I recently got an inquiry from a SoCal investor who wanted to buy a house in Phoenix, and asking me if I would accept payment at COE. I explained to her that it is not ethical to for an appraiser to accept these terms, and in any case I and most other appraisers insist on payment up front, especially from out of state clients. She proceeded to lecture me about there being more than one way to do business. Sigh.

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
Lysander in Charlotte said:
I look at it like it's just part of the cost of being listed first.
Oh Yeah... okay, didn't think of that. It is funny though, like Dave... I advertise and stress my commercial service more than residential.

Charles Witt

Professional Status
State
Delaware
No comp checks ever! That is my philosophy! They are blunt about asking and then promising an order. Do not fall for this. They have probably called five appriasers before you...............trolling for a SKIPPY

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
LOL Charles, you don't have to worry about me. I might do two or three a year for mortgage brokers. I've found that getting away from phone monkeys and bottom feeding comp check carps are much more financially rewarding. :)

David Wimpelberg

Staff member
Professional Status
State
New York
If I wanted to provide services for free, I'd be over in Ethiopia helping starving children, not provide comp checks for phone monkeys....

Rudy Canoza

Professional Status
State
California
The funniest one I got was the other day...

Phone Monkey: Uh, I'm looking at your website and, uh, can I get a comp check?

Me: Well, what does my website say?

PM: Uh...where would I find that?

Me: It's usually cleverly disguised as "words" somewhere on the page.

PM: Uh, what? Oh! Here it is; "No comp checks."

*pause*

So, does that mean you don't do comp checks?

/True story...

Renee Healion

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Connecticut
Just think, Bob, your lovely grandchildren one day will compete in life against the spawn of that caller. Whheeeeee!

liznindy

Professional Status
State
Indiana
It may be that many of these folks are not used to being told "No"...or that they don't understand plain English.

Years ago, my sister worked briefly as a phone sales person (not in mortgage business) and was told by her supervisor that she must be told 'No' at least three times by the person she was pitching to before giving up on the call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks