• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Computer RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay trotta

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Connecticut
after a few years of work on what was then a new puter, I have been advised to increase my puter RAM (currently @ 512..I think)

it was suggested to go to a 1 or 2 Gig add on stick, so that we can avoid a new puter for at least another year.

Any lil helpers out there have an opinion......

Tom Woolford

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Depending on the processor, I would thionk 2 gig is minimum. I run 4 gig with an opteron dual core that I installed a couple months ago on a 939 board. I have been happy with the results, and I should be good for a couple more years unless this profession completely falls apart, then I have a decent gaming computer.

PLCG

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
It depends on how much you are going to pay to ge that extra RAM. Computers get old very fast, as in a new computer out of the box is already old. You may have to pay a very high price for the RAM because your computer is several years old. You need to check that cost against the cost of a new computer - preferably one with Windows XP because that is probably the operating system you have now. Changing your operating system may well mean you would not be able to run some of your current programs.

Do you feel that headache coming on yet? It is a pain. I tried increasing my RAM and found it was a mistake. I really paid too much for how much it extended the life of the computer. It may be worth the extra cost to go to a new computer now.

Good luck!

Michael Tipton

Professional Status
State
Florida
I usually refer to software and newer hardware specs to determine when I upgrade. Once I cannot upgrade my computer cheaper than the cost of a new desktop/laptop, I upgrade.

Memory is one of the simpler upgrades available. The costs associated are offset by better performance. I have upgraded my systems at or near their max RAM capacity. Installing memory is usually covered in the system manual. I have purchased memory on sale with rebates from local box stores and e-bay. Check your system specs for the correct memory to purchase.

Professional Status
State
Colorado
What are the specs on you computer -- processor, HD, cache, etc?

My old XP computer has a Celeron processor, 640mb of Ram, 40gb HD, but it's gotten slower than death. My even older Win98se computer is blazing fast compared to it. My new XP is blazing fast, but it cost $800.

Celeron processors don't have any onboard cache, which is one of their processing bottlenecks. The maximum memory XP can use is 3gb, but anything you add will help.

If your computer uses DDR or better, memory is cheap; if it's an DRAM machine, it's more expensive. This link is to MicroCenter's memory configurator page -- good for price comparisons.

http://www.microcenter.com/storefronts/memory_config/index.html

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
after a few years of work on what was then a new puter, I have been advised to increase my puter RAM (currently @ 512..I think)

it was suggested to go to a 1 or 2 Gig add on stick, so that we can avoid a new puter for at least another year.

Any lil helpers out there have an opinion......
More ram is always a good idea. What type do you need? I have one or two modules laying around that I'd be glad to send you for the price of postage.

JRS at OBX

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
I upgraded the ram in all of my computers last year. I went to a site similar to the one linked to by Mr. Knutson to figure out what I needed. Then I went to ebay and bought it. Check the ebay stores.

jay trotta

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Connecticut
Thanks for all the input and according to a friend of mine who just did his, I need a minimum of 1 G - but he can get me 2G for under $50, so I think thats is a plan.

Tater...thanks fer the offer, I greatly appreciate it, but for the cost (noted above) I don't think I can beat that, and I will do both for way less than upgrading both puters.

Thanks Gang......ya'll are special folk and I really appreciate the help

Smokey Bear

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
You have to find out the specs for your computer - what is the max it will take? You probably have 1 stick, will need to remove it to put in the max. Get your model # and call Comp USA, ask them what you need.

BTW, I'm surprised you can boot Windows (unless you're on '95) with only 512 mb of RAM. :-(

EDWARD BERRY

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
try Crucial.com

I have used them, by going to your make and model you can determine.

Sometimes it is better to buy two cards eather than keep the old one(it that applies to your model)

first look to see how many slots you have. Sometimes you can just buy a larger cap. stick.
it not complicated but takes a little research.

Good luck, arkie ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks