• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Cross-Mod Manufactured Homes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
When the steel undercarriage/chassis/frame is used as a work table and the home is lifted off of it when it gets to the home site, it is an off frame/chassis manufactured home because it was built to the HUD code. It would be reported on the 1004C because of the HUD building code. On frame and off frame modular homes are built currently to the International Residential Code, the same building code that is followed for building from scratch on site homes. Both on frame and off frame modular homes are reported on the 1004 because of the IRC that was followed while under construction.

David S. Roberson

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
Freddie Mac through the Appraisal Institute is presenting seminars all over the county about their New Generation manufactured homes. They have to meet both FHA/HUD requirements and code and also meet Freddie Mac's requirements over and above the HUD code. They are still manufactured homes. Fannie Mae's is called the Choice Program.

Go to the Appraisal Institute website and look for their manufactured home seminars, they are holding this course in every state. I took the one in Phoenix last year, the instructor was the main person for Freddie Mac's manufactured home home policy. Excellent seminar, I strongly recommend all appraisers to attend that seminar. Just heard from students at the one in Tucson on Weds, they were very impressed with the seminar also and learned a lot. Freddie Mac designed the course and now AI instructors are teaching it.
New Generation. Thanks!

Dean

Professional Status
State
Tennessee
I took a class on these with the AI a few months ago. A disaster of a class lol, down to the lack of prep on the teachers part, then giving out exams at the end with the answers already filled in... Anyway. i wasnt impressed with this new product. There is still a certain "snobbery" on the part of Home Buyers who dont want to be associated with a "Trailer". (yes i know, thats not what they are, but this is still a term that is used in East Tennessee.) This was even stated by the local dealer who makes these homes who just happended to be in the class. The class felt like an 8 hour commercial from that dealer who interjected at every possible turn.
I guess we will have to wait and see if this new products takes off...

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
I am very sorry you were disappointed in the seminar. There is a lot of very good information during the seminar in addition to the information on the New Generation and Choice programs. Other appraisers that have taken the seminar have learned a lot of helpful new information regarding factory built homes.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
What distinguishes them from other factory built homes of similar quality?

Do they have a longer life?

Can they be altered/modified without state approval?

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Are they all off frame?

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
I haven't seen one yet. I need to go to the factories in Phoenix area and find out if they are building them and exactly what the differences area. It has to be ground set, have an attached garage and the appearance of a site built home. Which is what HUD code homes are already doing. It is supposed to look like a site built house. The truth is here in Arizona, the manufactured home is the better quality home on the street. Greenlee County does not follow any type of building code. So the manufactured and factory built modular homes are the only ones in the entire county that are built to any type of building code. So that is another reason that appraisers absolutely HAVE know what building code in the factory.

Take the AI manufactured home course in your area! That will be my sentence in every posting from now on. Even if you took a seminar from another provider in the past year, take this seminar!!!

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
"supposed to look like a site built house." Only the nicest modular homes with garage and porch additions aren't easily identifiable as not site built. We will see. Another version of a Hudular home, the nick name for on frame or off frame homes built with similar quality finishes as a HUD but have a higher roof pitch to meet "site built code".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks