• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Detached garage

No. No requirement that I'm aware of for any of the loan programs.

I wouldn't put drywall into a detached garage in any case. Leave it for the buyer to do what they want. Personally, I insulated and then installed 1/2" OSB in my detached garage and painted it light gray, walls and ceiling. OSB won't attract mold/mildew like drywall will. Also, with OSB, you can hang anything you want anywhere on the wall without having to worry about finding a wall stud.
Thank you for sharing. What if I have electric power for lights a switches?
Very common, not an issue IMO. Technically, some codes will specify that exposed wiring has to be in conduit but that's not usually on an appraiser's radar.

Get your realtor to tell you what people want. Like newer decor or some updates. Now these things may not get you back what you spent on them. But some things help the house to sell faster, maybe not get back your money spent.

I speak as a past broker, now appraiser, going back to flipping real estate. Go on the internet and there are articles on helping to sell, like color schemes, etc.

The functional use of a garage is storage. They are generally not heated so no drywall is needed. If there is electricity, that is a bonus but not necessary.

The functional use of a garage is storage. They are generally not heated so no drywall is needed. If there is electricity, that is a bonus but not necessary.
In this area they are used for storage but also as workshops, man-caves, hobby rooms, etc. It is VERY unusual to find a garage, attached or detached, that is unfinished and completely un-heated.

The only answer to the question asked is 'no'. Your garage does not need to have a finished interior. If is an attached or built in garage, building codes would require drywall on the sides that are adjacent to living area. Otherwise, it's not needed. Are you asking will it help the marketablity of the property? Increase its value? The only legitimate answer that people who have not seen the garage in question nor reasearched the market for the property is... 'Danged if I know'.

I would concur with the majority here. Leave it be. Let the new buyer finish the garage the way they want - they will have their own ideas of what they want to do with the space. If it is raw inside, you can consider painting it and or installing a light if it has electrical service.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back