• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Disclosing Info To Fellow Appraisers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I think appraisers should be able to disclose data to each other, but not to other people who are not appraisers unless it involves two appraisals on the same house.

If the asking appraiser were to contact you, would you insists of verifying his/her credentials to be sure he/she were a licensed appraiser before sharing info?

In my area appraisers share information on properties all the time. We don't share values. I just call up an appraiser and ask them if they have ever done an appraisal on a property. That's how I find out. It's amazing how much information can be gleaned from other appraisers.

Some of the top level appraisers in our area will contact other appraisers for comp info and the method they desire is to just ask for page 1 of the report, it tells them everything they need to know without sharing "results".

I personally don't like the idea of listing appraiser's name on MLS, though it could act as advertising for the number hitter who appraised the highest price sale evah....

This couldn't be more wrong. For example, for this property someone sees my name as appraiser and sees the sale price and may assume that I brought it in to value when I did not

It also is a way for other Appraisers to know who is hitting those numbers. Everyone says, "it isn't me".

It also is a way for other Appraisers to know who is hitting those numbers. Everyone says, "it isn't me".

AGAIN - not true!! The value did not come in at the sale price. The borrower's apparently put down more money. Granted, this may only happen a fraction of time but nevertheless.

This gets back to my orginal question and the whole point of this thread, not asking about sharing relevant data about the subject but the VALUE!!!! So, I gave the data to the other appraiser and now he assumes I brought it in to value. Not that it really matters but those of you who are accusing people of being "number hitters" (and just maybe this appraiser is one of them) once again you are dead wrong!! Not that I need to defend myself but the last thing I am is a "number hitter" and would prefer not to have anyone thinking that.

Then that would be a misconception resulting from appraisers' name on MLS next to a sold property and one of the reasons why imo it is a poor idea.

If you indicate to the other appraiser your OMV was below the SC price but not give him exact number of your OMV, that might be a good way of handling it.

Then that would be a misconception resulting from appraisers' name on MLS next to a sold property and one of the reasons why imo it is a poor idea.

I couldn't agree more, which I why I was even considering sharing my value to begin with

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back