• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Does Minimum Wage Increase Help Or Hurt The Appraisal Business?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Minimum wage will increase overall wages. Higher wages mean more borrowers. Most appraisers do their own work instead of hiring out. It's just too much overhead for the amount of money we make.

You sound like AOC. Your logic escapes me how you leap from minimum wage to a statement on 1004 fees.

"Wages should reflect the cost of living in a geographical area..."

I guess I misunderstood your post....

"Wages should reflect the cost of living in a geographical area..."

I guess I misunderstood your post....

No wonder, you did not copy or read that part of post that completes the sentence:

Wages should reflect the cost of living in a geographical area and the level of skill or experience required to do the job.

So did you notice the level of skill or experience required to do the job is an integral part of wage determination?

In your analysis, the McDonalds worker making minimum wage with no experience or skill is equal to an appraiser's level of skill and experience.

No wonder, you did not copy or read that part of post that completes the sentence:

So did you notice the level of skill or experience required to do the job is an integral part of wage determination?

In your analysis, the McDonalds worker making minimum wage with no experience or skill is equal to an appraiser's level of skill and experience.

I noticed it but big deal....
Let's say a worker from a NYC Mickey D's moves to Podunk NC and gets the exact same job (with equal skillset as Podunk employee) at the Podunk Mickey D's....
Should NYC guy get paid NYC wage or Podunk wage?

I noticed it but big deal....

Have you ever filled out a job application? Did they want to know your education attainment? Your work history?

It is a big deal, even in appraising. Some lenders have requirements of a certified level of license and a minimum of 5 years experience. Wonder why?

Let's say a worker from a NYC Mickey D's moves to Podunk NC and gets the exact same job (with equal skillset as Podunk employee) at the Podunk Mickey D's....
Should NYC guy get paid NYC wage or Podunk wage?

Jan 1, 2018
For fast-food workers outside of New York City, the minimum wage will rise to $12.75 an hour on Dec. 31, 2018, $13.75 an hour on Dec. 31, 2019 and $14.50 an hour on Dec. 31, 2020. It will reach $15 an hour on July 1, 2021.

If you work for McDonalds in Brevard, NC you get $8.50/hr.

So if you really want that really big minimum wage job, I suggest you move to New York City and not Brevard, NC.

Have you ever filled out a job application? Did they want to know your education attainment? Your work history?

It is a big deal, even in appraising. Some lenders have requirements of a certified level of license and a minimum of 5 years experience. Wonder why?

Jan 1, 2018
For fast-food workers outside of New York City, the minimum wage will rise to $12.75 an hour on Dec. 31, 2018, $13.75 an hour on Dec. 31, 2019 and $14.50 an hour on Dec. 31, 2020. It will reach $15 an hour on July 1, 2021.

If you work for McDonalds in Brevard, NC you get $8.50/hr.

So if you really want that really big minimum wage job, I suggest you move to New York City and not Brevard, NC.

You keep dancing....

You keep dancing....

McDonald's Cashier Hourly Pay in Boston, MA Area. The typical McDonald's Cashier salary is $9. Cashier salaries at McDonald's can range from $8 - $11.Oct 18, 2018

The guy that works for McDonald's in Boston, MA would be better off moving to Brevard, NC where it is much cheaper to live and work for $8.50/hr. Taxes are lower too.

McDonald's Cashier Hourly Pay in Boston, MA Area. The typical McDonald's Cashier salary is $9. Cashier salaries at McDonald's can range from $8 - $11.Oct 18, 2018

The guy that works for McDonald's in Boston, MA would be better off moving to Brevard, NC where it is much cheaper to live and work for $8.50/hr. Taxes are lower too.

Exactly! Housing, other cost of living expenses are lower. Its a great life in the Mountains of NC. Rich with history of Hard Working people who made there own way.

But we do have high Food Stamp participation. Most of these problems in NC are caused by globalization. Environmentalist have wreaked havoc on our state. Much of the area is National Forest Land. So People up in the mountains live off the land. Nothing wrong with that.

But we do have high Food Stamp participation. Most of these problems in NC are caused by globalization. Environmentalist have wreaked havoc on our state. Much of the area is National Forest Land. So People up in the mountains live off the land. Nothing wrong with that.

I have talked with many people out in the wild areas. Many were were born in a log home type construction back in the 1920's, 1930s, and 1940s. They farmed and hunted. Several could not read nor write. Out in the middle of the forest you can come upon a repair shop for trucks, autos and farm equipment. People here are good folk, kind and loving. They invite a stranger inside just to talk. Very hospitable. They are not motivated by greed. Simple life is good enough surrounded by relatives and friends. The Whitmire family name is all through the hills here with cemeteries. It seems everyone is related to one another.

Brevard itself has more government housing than southern California. Lots of old folks as well as single mothers with children.

The Blue Ridge Parkway has a fantastic history as does the Vanderbilt Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC. If you want city life, Asheville is about 45 minutes away as is Greenville, SC.

People are moving here from the northeast (too cold) and from Florida (too hot).

Jacob,

As a content writer at Appraiser Newbie,

How do you get new appraisers to reconcile, they will be working for transactions, of borrowers obtaining 30 year mortgages for homes which will have to be re-built in 10 years, because the world is going to end in 12 years if they drive a fossil fuel burning vehicle to inspection, and use fossil fuel generated electricity to charge their cell phone, or car if electric, and to run their computer?

Maybe in the face of a "new reality" that the "Green deal" might happen,
Content concerning the impact of the "green DEAL" should be discussed with people who think they want to be appraisers,
if the world isn't going to be around in 12 years.

Hi Marion, sorry, I don't think I fully understand your question and comment. Can you please elaborate what you mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back