• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Dome SFR

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandondo

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
does anybody know what to do with a dome house? any advice on how to do this? Loan officer is saying that it is a half dome and that it is not a kit.
HELP please!!!

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Moved from "Ask an Appraiser" to "General Appraisal Discussion" because an appraiser is asking this question.

Bill_FL

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
I have done several. I take it there are no sales of similar domes around? You have to figure out how the market will react to them in your area. I was normally lucky enough to find one to a few dome sales. I often found, in the market I was appraising in, that they had market reactions similar to round (octagon) homes.

stefan olafson

Professional Status
State
North Dakota
I'm assuming a dome home is similar to an octagon home, isn't it?

You have to remember your math to figure out square footage, that took me a while, then I explained and explained the subject property, the neighborhood, and the market. The market I was working in had no 'dome' homes so I used the odd sales of similar size and explained and explained some more. Probably had three or four pages of comments.

It went through without a hiccup!

leelansford

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Illinois
does anybody know what to do with a dome house? any advice on how to do this? Loan officer is saying that it is a half dome and that it is not a kit.
HELP please!!!

If the Subject improvements are atypical for the market...be certain to analyze atypical sold comparisons in arriving at your opinion of value.

Wayne Tomlinson

Professional Status
State
Illinois
Frank Harrison has a course and a book, called Appraising the Tough Ones.
Both are AI available.

Propbably won't help you on this one but is good for the library and, unlike most CE, you cahn really learn something worhwhile.

Actually there is a picture of a dome home on the cover.

Wayne Tomlinson

CURT VAN HOOSER

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
Half Dome is in Yosemite... What part of California are you appraising in? Call local Realtors...they may be able to lead you to some comps.

Mike Boyd

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
You might have to go back in time 2-4 years or outside your normal area that you would search for comps. Supposedly, they are very energy efficient.

To calculate square footage, measure each section and at the base of each section, measure from the corners to the geometric center of the building. If it is 8 sided, then you will have 8 triangles. Calculate the SF of 1 triangle and multiply by the number of sections. If there is an upstairs, it will be more difficult as you cannot always measure the base and the interior walls might conceal where the base starts and stops. BUT, measure from an outside wall to the geometric center. Calculate it as if were a semi circle.

If you can work from a set of plans, you will be more accurate.

Esox

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
Here in SE Cheeseland they're scattered around and you can usually find a comp or two even if they're old. I appraised one about two years ago for bankruptcy purposes and had three sales within a year and half. The homeowner was happier than hell because he was hoping it would be worth far less than the assessment and the data showed it was worth far less than the assessment. I've probably appraised ten of them through the years, and they always smell musty because of humidity problems. Here they are mostly circles, and I give 'em the old Pi R Squared. For the second floor I subtract the open Pi R squared from the middle.

Here's a pic of a dome home duplex I ran across as a listing while appraising a duplex out in the country. If, and that's a big if, this thing ever sells and comes through my office, I very well may be on vacation. At least until it closes.

Kevin

Attachments

• 20080404172833883884000000-o[1].jpg
    20080404172833883884000000-o[1].jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 17
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks