• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Duplexes, are they attached or detached?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zdfenton

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
Here's an odd question. When filling out a 1025 for a two flat duplex (in some areas its called walk-up), IE a two story stucture with a unit downstairs and a unit unspairs, do you consider it attached or detached? Some appraisers say detached, because its a duplex not attached to any other structures, and some say attached, because it's two units attached to each other. I've been arguing this with a lender and have my own opinion but I'm curious what everyone else thinks

It is "A" two unit property. In other words, one property. It is detached.

I call it attached...

If your are doing one unit, it is attached. If you are doing the entire building, it is detached.

look to zoning and common trends in the area.

In built as side by side, they are attached, but can be noted as superior to row homes.

In converted from sf to multi-unit, it's more dependent on the ownership trends. Are they simply zoned for multi allowability with what is typically a single owner? Or are they true attached with shared responsibility issues and separate deeds? It's straight forward with built as, because if land is present it's already subdivided. But with conversions, that can get tricky in some instances.

Row, condo, or duplex. All the same if common area / shared wall / insurance, etc, ect, type issues are present - that would be attached.

SF detached indicates complete responsibility and full insurance responsibilities.
SF attached indicates shared responsibility and shared insurance responsibilities.

If the duplex isn't attached to a unit owned by some other entity, it would best be described as detached, in order to communicate to the widest swath of the audience.

There was a rather hilarious thread a while back, where someone said they were appraising a detached town home. Town home style generally implies attached units, but little homes that, while technically separated and look like the little row of green houses before the player can afford a hotel in a game of Monopoly, might be described as detached town homes, if thew erte in a p (Edit- I think I must have answered a phone call about here:icon_lol:)

Condos can be physically detached, but they are legally attached to one another via the common property ownership. When in doubt, communicate the situation as precisely as possible.

Interesting. This could be a local thing. I've never considered it the way you folks are presenting it, but I don't work in an area that has 'row houses'. Here we have duplexes with the units attached and duplexes that are detached, the two units are not attached. Detached brings in more rent money because you don't share walls with noisy neighbors. I've never seen a duplex that is attached to another property that isn't a part of the lot the duplex is on.

what happened to semi detached???

Detached.

cce_duplex_fireplace_800_534.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back