• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Duplexes, are they attached or detached?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 2 family property that is not attached to other properties is considered detached in the markets that I cover.

Detached.

cce_duplex_fireplace_800_534.jpg

I'd call it attached. I'm with SmokeyBear on this extremely important point. :leeann2:

I've never seen a duplex that is attached to another property that isn't a part of the lot the duplex is on.

2 units attached to each other. Attached. Common wall. Of course it's detached from the neighbors! :leeann:

We don't have those row houses that are right up against each other here, but are SFR with no HOA. As long as you're clear about what it is, I guess that's the main thing. :icon_lol:

If you were appraising only one side it would be "attached." If you are appraising the one property that has two units it is "detached" unless the two units are attached to another structure. You could have four attached units on two separate parcels, then if you were appraising one parcel it would be "attached."

Have you ever wondered why it is called the 2-4 unit property appraisal and not a duplex-fourplex appraisal? Because none of the units actually have to be attached to each other. It could be four separate units on one parcel. The term duplex is more of a label that doesn't have the same meaning as a two family property that could have different variations.

I still vote attached. In the ~300 units I've appraised, I've never ran into a situation where 1 or all units of a unit property were attached to a separate structure...they've either been 'attached' to each other, or 'detached' from each other. Now I have checked both boxes in the past; where you have 2 or 3 units attached to each other, and a separate unit detached from the others...

I agree with Pittsburgh Pete, and almost feel dirty for saying so.

Pittsburgh Pete, AnonApprsr, and Couch Potato agree on something.

The world will end soon! :rof:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back