• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Duplexes, are they attached or detached?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, now I'm really confused. The only thing we call a "duplex" in this part of NJ is a condominium that is on 2 levels! As for the multi family properties, and we've appraised thousands of them over the years, if the structure itself is detached from the house next door, we call it detached. I don't think that part of the 1025 is asking whether or not the units themselves are attached - it's asking about the entire structure. Just like on the 1073 form: If I'm appraising a unit in a condominium building, say a 6 six story building with 2 units on each level, I wouldn't call the subject "attached," unless the entire building shared a wall with the building next door.

Another example of the form checkboxes being inadequate.

In my market, if two units share the same legal description, tax parcel ID number and a common wall, it's an attached duplex. If two units share the same legal description, tax parclel ID number and don't share a common wall, it's a detached duplex.

Don't confuse the physical appearance or achitectural style with commonly used descriptions that you think have a clear definition.

Who's on first?

This was covered circa 1998 on this forum.

Although not as common as their detached counterparts, attached 2-4 unit properties are often found in large complexes that look and feel very much like a 40 to 100 unit apartment complex. (e.g. 10 to 25 "4-unit" Small-Residential Income Properties with many connected to each other). DeSaix should know what I'm talking about...I can think of 2 such complexes in Walnut Creek, CA.

Whether or not a "stand-alone" duplex/triplex/fourplex is either "attached to itself" or a combination (e.g. detached house with 2 units attached to each other in the back) or fully segregated (e.g. 4 - 1 bed/1 bath studio units not "touching" each other) these improvements are all detached from their neighboring improvements.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back