• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Exposure Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anybody help me with where USPAP covers how long you must set your camera "exposure" time to for comp pictures? I just left a CE class where a USPAP instructor said you must wait to see the polaroid before you can move on to the next comp. I'm just wondering if anyone else has run into this?

I just left a CE class where a USPAP instructor said you must wait to see the polaroid before you can move on to the next comp. I'm just wondering if anyone else has run into this?

You see, those 38 pages are so clearly written that they take all that additional material to understand them. That's why there are footnotes at the bottom of practically ever page of USPAP because the writers can't think clearly- in a logical way. So rather than being able to read straight through USPAP, a page at a time, you have to jump back and forth if you follow the footnotes.
Amen Bro. PAT...you are preaching to the choir here.
This idea of USPAP just being 'guidelines' and not 'rules' is just a bunch of semantics.
My second my amen...Pat is hot on the trail of the truth.
Maybe some appraisers can't distinguish between guidelines and rules?
The "guidelines" are rules and were once called "supplemental standards" now we disguise that as "scope of work'...what changed? Nothing, to answer my own question. You still have to comply with these guidelines/supplementals/SOWs...to comply with USPAP...
The problem is that some people treat the GSE guidelines as if they are actually rules
that's because as part of SOW, they are incorporated. Violate the "guideline" and you violate the SOW, and thus USPAP...Ya'll can't see that ????

The above requirements are not in conflict with USPAP.
Exactly but that is because they are USPAP once you agree to the SOW and that SOW is shoved down your throat by Fannie et al... take it or leave it, but if you don't do it, you have violated USPAP....

No, the real problem here is that there are a lot of appraisers - including many reviewers, who cling to habits they have learned over the years and have trouble distinguishing between what is required in USPAP vs what many (but not all) of their clients are asking of them. They are treating all those requirements the same regardless of their source. On a practical doing-it-every-day basis that's not a bad thing but when it comes to reviewing someone else's work it can cause real problems when you impose your own "extras" on someone else's work.

When someone tells me they don't understand USPAP the first question that comes to mind is "what part"? What part of the document do you not understand?

Take this exposure time dilemma, for example. Look at all the people who are confused and in the process have turned a molehill into a mountain. The definitions for both exposure time and marketing time have been available for a long time and yet we're still getting the question? How could anyone have ever read and thought about the content of AO-6 and be confused?

No, the problem is that people who have allowed the form to drive the process never got into the habit of thinking about this portion of what they do every day on a conceptual basis. They're too busy doing the "what" of appraising to stop and put some thought into the "why" of these different steps and how they relate to the "what".

Just because some reviewer or even some board member is a form monkey and has made mistakes of their own doesn't mean that the standards themselves are that hard to apply. People only know what they do, not what they can do.

Ask any of the commercial appraisers how confused they are about exposure time - they aren't because this is an issue that they have been dealing with as part of their process for years. It's not that these appraisers are any smarter than the residential appraisers, it's that they've been dealing with this expectation all along. If you guys had better appraisal forms you would have been dealing with it all along, too. If you want to blame someone (other than yourself) for your confusion on this one you can blame the master form monkeys at Fannie.

As for law and licensing and the nature of appraising itself involving a million little details those are all separate issues from reading the material for content - which some of you apparently decline to do.

Last edited:
BTW, the whole purpose of "Supplemental Standards" back prior to the SOWR was to remind appraisers that when they take on an assignment it's incompetent and unethical to not consider the expectations of the intended users in developing the workproduct they're going to use. The GSE guidelines aren't USPAP in that they don't apply to all appraisal practice regardless of use and users; just the GSE-style assignments. They're categorized as an assignment condition, which is how skipping those triggers violations of USPAP.

The reason the Supplemental Standards Rule was retired was not because the info is either dated or inapplicable, but because the SOWR already requires it and the SSR became redundant.

The definitions for both exposure time and marketing time have been available for a long time and yet we're still getting the question? How could anyone have ever read and thought about the content of AO-6 and be confused?
The reason the subject is revisted is because not only the appraiser, but the users of their service do not understand the difference.

Does that mean a lot of people are stupid and from that we infer appraisers are stupid?

Or does that mean the document language lacks clarity and/or, as I would argue, we face the 600# gorilla of having GSEs standards plunked down in the middle of a document not otherwise designed to be melded about those prima donna govt sponsored entities...

So many issues in the forums revolve around trying to scrape the GSE *&%$ off our USPAP shoes and even then, we still smell it.

The gorilla only weighs 600# if you allow them to push you around. Are we showing them the way it's supposed to be done or are we waiting for them to tell us how to do our jobs?

I look at the GSEs as just another lender. Nothing more and nothing less. We need to be responsive to the things that are meaningful to them but if/when push comes to shove no lender is in a position to teach me how to appraise.

I know i dont work for the any Lender. Per my copy of USPAP definitions i am INDEPENDENT, impartial, and objective.

The entire USPAP needs to be flushed and rewriten in a one page format. They have taken the fairly non complex, logical and common sense concept of appraising and complicated it to the extent that no one knows whats going on. Tell me what other industry has so many stupid rules that make absolutly no sense or are basic common sense, but they require you to make a statement about it. The US tax code will be easier to comprehend than USPAP in a few years. My wife is a CPA and she does not have to follow nearly as many "gotcha" rules as appraisers. I bet that someone could review 1000 of any appraiser's work and 999 of them would have at least one USPAP violation if they looked hard enough. USPAP has become a joke.

Sometimes, I have heard this referred to as USCRAP. Hummmmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back