• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Fee splits for new licensees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kdprice

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Virginia
Hello,
I am a trainee at a fairly large firm currently getting a 45% fee split. I’m about to sit for my certified residential exam and once passed, will bump to a 50% split. I have independent appraiser friends telling me I should go out on my own, but I’m not keen on doing that as I still have much to learn and like my co-workers. I’m just curious if this is typical for the profesdiin in terms of fee splits. We also get E&O insurance, minimal admin help, membership to AI, 401K match, $400 education credit, and of course expertise of MAI and SRA appraisers. We do not get mileage reimbursement. Thank you for any insights you may have.

Hello,
I am a trainee at a fairly large firm currently getting a 45% fee split. I’m about to sit for my certified residential exam and once passed, will bump to a 50% split. I have independent appraiser friends telling me I should go out on my own, but I’m not keen on doing that as I still have much to learn and like my co-workers. I’m just curious if this is typical for the profesdiin in terms of fee splits. We also get E&O insurance, minimal admin help, membership to AI, 401K match, $400 education credit, and of course expertise of MAI and SRA appraisers. We do not get mileage reimbursement. Thank you for any insights you may have.
Given the benefits that you are receiving, I’m assuming that you are classified as an employee. In that case, it’s been my experience that is not unreasonable.

It’s been the experience of many appraisers that recently certified appraisers may have difficulty establishing a client base. Many clients, especially the ones dealing with the more difficult assignments, want to see several years of certification before using that person’s services.

Hello,
It all depends. 45% or 50% of what? $400 appraisal fee or $800 appraisal fee? How many appraisals per month and is it steady? How many hours per week? Having said that, I think you have a very good situation, especially with the benefits, and current real estate climate.

Hello,
Just curious: Are you going for a Cert, as a Trainee? Don't you first need to become Licensed, before being certified? Regs might have changed since I matriculated in Cali.

Hello,
I think your best options for stability and security during a downturn will largely depend on the diversity of the work the company is engaged in. If all your company is doing is AMC work and mortgage lending appraisals then that isn't going to be a good situation for you because when their volumes drop they're going to dump you first in order to feed their more senior appraisers. On the other hand if a significant percentage of their work involves non-lending work and the really difficult assignments then THAT work will be more stable during a slowdown, and THOSE clients will be the ones that you'll want to impress and built a reputation with.

If the latter is the case then you have the OPPORTUNITY to build the more marketable reputation, subject to you putting in the performance it takes to do so. Merely being present there isn't going to be enough.

Here's the irony of the fee appraisal business: building the reputation for being the problem solver and doing the hard ones isn't profitable when times are good and the main priority is mass production of the widgets, but its invaluable when times are tough and your performance has resulted in you making their short list. Even now there's talk on this forum about the increasing difficulty of the assignments appraisers are being offered and appraisers in certain areas seeing the big reduction in volumes and inquiries. And we're not even into a transition phase yet, if that's even what this slowdown is leading into.

The real estate bust of the 1990s resulted in 1/3 of the fully licensed/certified appraisers getting starved out of the business for lack of work. The same thing happened in the bust of the 2010s. I highly doubt it will get quite that bad this time but the lowest performers (as well as the most junior appraisers) will still be very vulnerable to being passed over in favor of appraisers who have the demonstrated track record.

If you decide to stay then you should be collecting work samples from the high performers in your company and emulating what they're doing in every one of your assignments, even if it costs you money. If you do that and continue to hit your deadlines then you'll end up on their shortlist and be in a better position for any opportunities that arise. Your own competency will increase far more quickly in that situation, too. If they're considering giving a plum assignment or providing additional training and mentorship to a CR in your firm you want to be that CR; you want to make yourself the most logical choice and the surest bet for providing the high return on investment.

It's a marathon, not a sprint. Any idiot can make money in this business when times are good, and some of them have been doing exactly that. But the real test of the viability of a plan is what happens when times get tough. You're not going to hear about this a lot, but there are appraisers who continue to be backed up with work even while their peers are starving for work and trying to be the low cost leaders.

Last edited:
I think your best options for stability and security during a downturn will largely depend on the diversity of the work the company is engaged in. If all your company is doing is AMC work and mortgage lending appraisals then that isn't going to be a good situation for you because when their volumes drop they're going to dump you first in order to feed their more senior appraisers. On the other hand if a significant percentage of their work involves non-lending work and the really difficult assignments then THAT work will be more stable during a slowdown, and THOSE clients will be the ones that you'll want to impress and built a reputation with.

If the latter is the case then you have the OPPORTUNITY to build the more marketable reputation, subject to you putting in the performance it takes to do so. Merely being present there isn't going to be enough.

Here's the irony of the fee appraisal business: building the reputation for being the problem solver and doing the hard ones isn't profitable when times are good and the main priority is mass production of the widgets, but its invaluable when times are tough and your performance has resulted in you making their short list. Even now there's talk on this forum about the increasing difficulty of the assignments appraisers are being offered and appraisers in certain areas seeing the big reduction in volumes and inquiries. And we're not even into a transition phase yet, if that's even what this slowdown is leading into.

The real estate bust of the 1990s resulted in 1/3 of the fully licensed/certified appraisers getting starved out of the business for lack of work. The same thing happened in the bust of the 2010s. I highly doubt it will get quite that bad this time but the lowest performers (as well as the most junior appraisers) will still be very vulnerable to being passed over in favor of appraisers who have the demonstrated track record.

If you decide to stay then you should be collecting work samples from the high performers in your company and emulating what they're doing in every one of your assignments, even if it costs you money. If you do that and continue to hit your deadlines then you'll end up on their shortlist and be in a better position for any opportunities that arise. Your own competency will increase far more quickly in that situation, too. If they're considering giving a plum assignment or providing additional training and mentorship to a CR in your firm you want to be that CR; you want to make yourself the most logical choice and the surest bet for providing the high return on investment.

It's a marathon, not a sprint. Any idiot can make money in this business when times are good, and some of them have been doing exactly that. But the real test of the viability of a plan is what happens when times get tough. You're not going to hear about this a lot, but there are appraisers who continue to be backed up with work even while their peers are starving for work and trying to be the low cost leaders.
16 hours a day, 7 days a week..... sprint or marathon???

We also get E&O insurance, minimal admin help, membership to AI, 401K match, $400 education credit, and of course expertise of MAI and SRA appraisers.
That split doesn't sound "horrible" (IMO) considering the above - you have to consider that overall the company/owner(s) still have to make $$$$ off of the split
I have independent appraiser friends telling me I should go out on my own, but I’m not keen on doing that as I still have much to learn and like my co-workers.
I would go with your gut on this one. As one poster has said many times "You don't know what you don't know" And that is very true
I stayed with the firm I started with (much smaller; about 6 total appraisers/owner was MAI) for about 6+ yrs. 2 1/2 as trainee, the other 3 1/2 as Cert Res
I left on good terms with the owner and still stay in touch to this day (15 yrs later). BUT, he was very valuable when I had MANY MANY questions as I first got my Cert Res

All the best to you

Hello,
I think that is a good deal. After you get your certification, since you have MAI's and SRA"s in the office, you could do narratives, dot, or attorney work. You might have to "ghost write" for awhile just to learn. I got a higher percentage on ERC appraisals back then because they were higher fee and I was one of only 2 appraisers in our shop who did them. I do not think going out on your own would be smart right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back