• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

FHA Mps (siding)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Appraisal Solutions

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New York
Recently did an FHA appraisal. There were 4 missing vinyl siding strips running the width of house with tar paper covering the sheathing. I called for the siding to "be repaired". So I go back to do a repair inspection and find nothing done. The realtor is telling me that the area is covered with a "sealed rubber membrane" and so should not have been called an FHA MPS item. My question: Is this acceptable for FHA? What adds to the problem is that the section of siding is on the second floor, above a porch so I can only observe from the ground. I think at minimum I should call for a professional inspection to verify that this "rubber membrane" is adequately sealing out the weather since they apparently don't want to just slap on some siding like I thought was going to happen.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
DO YOU HAVE ANY PHOTOS ?

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
Recently did an FHA appraisal. There were 4 missing vinyl siding strips running the width of house with tar paper covering the sheathing. I called for the siding to "be repaired". So I go back to do a repair inspection and find nothing done. The realtor is telling me that the area is covered with a "sealed rubber membrane" and so should not have been called an FHA MPS item. My question: Is this acceptable for FHA? What adds to the problem is that the section of siding is on the second floor, above a porch so I can only observe from the ground. I think at minimum I should call for a professional inspection to verify that this "rubber membrane" is adequately sealing out the weather since they apparently don't want to just slap on some siding like I thought was going to happen.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

It is not the agents decision to make. Stand your ground. If they want their commission bad enough they will "git er done".

residentialguy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Minnesota
So I go back to do a repair inspection and find nothing done. The realtor is telling me that the area is covered with a "sealed rubber membrane" and so should not have been called an FHA MPS item.
Looks like you're going to make another $100 for that second final :clapping: I love it when realtors play appraiser.

The DEU can override the appraiser...apparently they agreed.

Just remember that you are required to estimate the cost to make the repair (aka cost to cure) The appraisal must be completed as though (hypothetical condition) the repair was made on the date of appraisal. So the value opinion would be based on a house with the repaired siding.
I personally would have gone with Extraordinary Assumption that it is not a safety issue and check box 4 rather than H Condition that it has to be repaired. I suppose you could revise it...they'll still need another final either way...unless they DEU says differently.

Last edited:

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
I suspect the rubber membrane they used is not designed or intended for the purpose it is being used and most likely is not meant to be exposed to UV rays etc. Hard to tell from here, no matter how hard I squint.

Appraisal Solutions

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
New York
It is not the agents decision to make. Stand your ground. If they want their commission bad enough they will "git er done".

For sure. I hate these "gray area, half assed" repairs sometimes combined with a realtor who knows just enough about FHA to know there is nothing I can point to definitively. (No bare wood, no defective paint etc)

residentialguy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Minnesota
For sure. I hate these "gray area, half assed" repairs sometimes combined with a realtor who knows just enough about FHA to know there is nothing I can point to definitively. (No bare wood, no defective paint etc)
Again, they have no say in the appraisal. They can contact the DEU and the DEU can dictate.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
MPS is Minimum Property Standards which are for proposed or new (less than 12 months) construction. If the improvements are existing and more than 12 months old the protocol is MPR which is Minimum Property Requirements. There are some significant differences between the two. Be careful to use the correct one when researching HUD documents such as 4000.1 and the Data Delivery Guide.

Isn't vinyl siding for older properties sometimes difficult to match?

Issue the 1004D and check the no box. Be prepared for war. Don't be surprised if that client stops sending you assignments.

miktay

Professional Status
State
Texas
Along with this forum, research it using the HUD website. (and don't let an agent try to dictate to you what you already need to know).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks