• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

FHA Photo Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

samc6782

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Anyone have experience with my situation? I did an FHA refinance appraisal, and the lender has been told by FHA that they need a photo of the front of the garage. I don't have one. I forgot to take one because I got the borrower to open the garage for a photo of the interior, so I took that photo and forgot to take another one outside it. I have photos of the back and side of the garage, but not the front.

It isn't required according to the handbook. P. 513 here : https://portal.HUD.gov/hudportal/documents/huddoc?id=40001HSGH.pdf

There is nothing remarkable about the front of the garage, and my report doesn't suggest there is. I think this is someone at FHA who hasn't read their own handbook and nothing more, but what would you all do?

My position is that I also didn't take any pictures of the hallway or the borrowers' favorite socks and I wouldn't go back for those, either. Can I expect some kind of reprisal from FHA? I don't care about the lender being mad. Does an FHA "requirement" have to be satisfied even if it isn't included in the handbook?

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
Photos of anything that has contributory value are required. I would think this means photos of the exterior.

JTip

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Nothing wrong with having the homeowner text you one (if they have a smartphone, who doesn't these days).

FULLY disclose where the photo came from along with a confirmation that this is the garage and how it looked when you inspected.

You won't go to jail if you tell the truth.

samc6782

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
California
It's a bit of a hike and I have plenty of work from better clients I want to work on. It's also the principle of the thing. It's not a requirement and I have photos of both the interior and exterior, just not from the front.

I tried what you said, JTip, but using a google maps photo, and I disclosed where it was from, but they weren't having it. I feel like someone is power tripping for no good reason. If they insist I guess I'll go back, but it doesn't feel right that they can request something that doesn't depict anything with contributory value. (And yes the garage contributes value, but the front of it doesn't contribute anything the side, rear and interior doesn't.)

I don't have a photo of the ceiling in the bathroom or the space behind where I took the photo of the dining room from either, and I wouldn't go back for those.

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Is it a hill you are willing to die on? :ROFLMAO:

Marty Boone

Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Never heard of that one, I'm assuming this is a detached garage or you would have a picture of the garage when you photographed the 4 corners.

jay trotta

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Connecticut
Photos of anything that has contributory value are required. I would think this means photos of the exterior.

It would appear to me that "Photo Issue's" are out of control; if all the other photo's of the Garage have been included, how in earth does a missing Front Garage photo provide "contributory value" ?? I am truly stumped on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks