• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

FHA Smoke Detector Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianS

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Missouri
Hey You All, I just turned in an FHA appraisal and I required smoke detectors in all bedrooms, kitchen and livingroom. The AMC reviewer is challenging these requirements and wants documentation for this. Never been challenged with this before. Does anyone have a link I can print out to show this person so I can get him out of my hair. I have searched and searched by my computer searching skills are not great.

Hey You All, I just turned in an FHA appraisal and I required smoke detectors in all bedrooms, kitchen and livingroom. The AMC reviewer is challenging these requirements and wants documentation for this. Never been challenged with this before. Does anyone have a link I can print out to show this person so I can get him out of my hair. I have searched and searched by my computer searching skills are not great.

Smoke detectors are not required unless the local code or law says they are required. FHA has no such requirement.

Yes I kinow now. I finally found it. Thanks

Becarefull with this code. Many times it is code for construction, not for a sale.

Current codes typically require 1 detector in each bedroom and in the area(s) just outside the sleeping areas, and they have to be hardwired and daisy chained together so if 1 goes off they all do. Prior to that, the requirement was for 1 in the hall outside the sleeping areas. Prior to that there was no requirement. Most codes are not retro-active. If there is no smoke detector (old house etc), I typically make a prominent comment that there is no smoke detector and let the DEU decide if they need one. The battery ones are 2 for $9 with tax @ Lowes or Home Depot.

FWIW, Putting one in the kitchen is a bad idea, as they will go off constantly from cooking fumes, until the HO finally disconnects them and then there is no protection.

In Colorado, it is part of the real estate license law...every home sold MUST have an alarm. Most of the time the real estate agent buys a couple at Lowes for $19.95 and leaves them on the kitchen counter for the new home owner to install. Those are not a requirement for FHA or VA loans so I don't even mention them in the appraisal report.

I'll still condition on their presence.

It's a flexible issue where you can give up ground at the request of the client.

But if in doubt, why not promote a higher standard of safety?

If the client wants to swing a loan without the safety equipment present in the home, that's their business. You can downgrade observed reporting requirements to simple observed reporting.

But when the lender agrees to send the requirement down the line, the appraiser get's an additional quick and simple work order, the buyers are better protected just in case, and Realtors remember more often to advise the sellers to swing $20 for the devices just to avoid potential appraisal issues. The state law I do not believe, applies to refinances, only sales. So in refi's I inform the owners that in a sale situation such a device would be required, and they should pick it up later anyways just to be safe, even though I won't require it.

One home I looked at this year had the hardwired alarms. Only problem was they were spliced in inappropriately through the attic outside of junction boxes and the wires were exposed right next to insulation. I would have never known either, except someone ripped the cover off of the fire alarm thinking it was not hard wired.

Took the pic, they got the repair, I got the final order. Simple, easy, effective.

In the case of the question here: The appraiser had initially presented a proposed repair requirement to include said detector, but at the request of the lending client, this condition has been removed from the appraisal report. It is still prudent to install said device, but the appraisal does not have to be conditioned to require that repair.

http://portal.HUD.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/housing/sfh/ref/sfhp1-22

http://www.HUD.gov/offices/adm/hudclips/letters/mortgagee/

Last edited:
In Colorado, it is part of the real estate license law...every home sold MUST have an alarm. Most of the time the real estate agent buys a couple at Lowes for $19.95 and leaves them on the kitchen counter for the new home owner to install. Those are not a requirement for FHA or VA loans so I don't even mention them in the appraisal report.

Also, Carbon Monoxide Alarms since 07/01/2009. This bill is called the Lofgren and Johnson Falilies Carbon Monoxide Safety Act. The act is named after Parker, Caroline, Owen, and Sophie Lofgren and Lauren Johnson, all of whom died as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Landlords better be aware of the law since it is required in any rental property in the state of Colorado.

Same here.

Considering our states require them, it could be argued that the lack of detectors is a health and safety issue. I always check for them and hit a test button every now and then. Never had to mention them in a report tho.

<>. This bill is called the Lofgren and Johnson Falilies Carbon Monoxide Safety Act.<>
Thanks Ron. Great information. Never knew that before.
Related news link: http://www.aspentimes.com/article/20090325/NEWS/903259992

I'll tell you what, the snow and wind can block vents in a heartbeat. Many people and contractors simply do not account for potential exhausting blocking during the winter, when the systems are installed in the summer. Sometimes they vent off the side, or off of the roof. Either way, without appropriate planning, blockage can be a problem.

Carbon monoxide is a problem people associate with closed garages and cars, but it can extend beyond that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back