• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

FHA Smoke Detector Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had the same thing once, got called on it by Santa Anta HOC, said he`d by it for "safety" reasons.

Carbon Monoxide Detectors State Statutes

"Updated January 2011
Twenty-four states have statutes that require carbon monoxide detectors in certain residential buildings. In addition, Virginia allows tenants to install carbon monoxide detectors in rental properties if they believe it is necessary to ensure their safety. Texas requires carbon monoxide detectors in certain day-care centers, group day-care homes, and family homes"

http://www.ncsl.org/?tabid=13238

How many times must it be said:

FHA does not require code compliance...
I'll still condition on their presence.

It's a flexible issue where you can give up ground at the request of the client.

But if in doubt, why not promote a higher standard of safety?
Mile High, I respect your views usually, but frankly, if you did an appraisal on a house I was selling, and you conditioned the appraisal on smoke detector installation, and the deal fell through, I would sue your ARSE off, and I would win...

Why not, you ask? Because it is not in the SCOPE OF WORK, and it is not your job. It is NOT a flexible issue...

Twenty-four states have statutes that require carbon monoxide detectors in certain residential buildings.
So, regarding an FHA appraisal, your point is???

I think it is a home inspection rather than an appraisal issue. How do I know if it works? How do I know if it is placed in the right location? I have one in my house...guess I should see if it even works.

What do you guys do when you enter a vacant house and the smoke alarms are "chirping"?. Do you call for new batteries and then do a $100 re-inspection?

So, regarding an FHA appraisal, your point is???

I think Mike Kennedy is pointing out that we have risk and responsibilities in our appraisal developement/reporting that go beyond FHA minimum requirements.

For example a client may not require a cost approach but your licensing board may not agree with your decision not to develope and report that approach to value.

Just saying.

Our state board has said..."just putting N/A in the appraisal report does not relieve the appraiser of the obligation to consider all of the approaches to value". The appraiser should have language in the report as to why an approach was not used.

How many times must it be said:
FHA does not require code compliance.<>I would sue your ><
FHA still runs through a lender who may have policies and approaches as well.

Incognito, it's important to understand the market climate as well. I've seen everything from simple missing batteries to mock units, and improperly wired units which are certain fire hazards. The measure for hard wired alarm systems I feel can cause more problems than it's worth on account of the way people install the systems incorrectly or fix these units when they go off. You should hear the nightmare stories my electrician buddy shares with me. But that's the climate. People can try to meet code in old homes sales, without really knowing what they are doing or how the code really is applicable. Sometimes the repair condition feedback is positive and reaffirming. Last winter a inspection request caused some delay, but ultimately they discovered improper wires crossed over and fire hazards, somebody thanked me for making sure that was considered, I forget who now. Non stop beeping of multiple hard wired units is highly unusual. I called it.

It's not always an automatic call, but there are times where I just know something is incorrect and a suggestion for professional inspection is included in my reports. For fire alarm and crbn monx alarms, I've passed reports without finals, based on simple paperwork and report revisement. You're the first person to ever mention suing me, and I have to say, such repair requests are not all that unusual like you may think. Having a broad client audience who I work here and there sporadically for, I've got lots of "guidance exposure". You might be surprised how much something like a state regulation on carbon monoxide detectors can alter client guidance. Some of these guys actually request that issue be conditioned. Believe it or not. So yes, it's always a flexible issue and if a home buyer walked away from a simple fire alarm check, that probably had more to do with other factors than a 2 hour hold up and $100 inspection cost. I'm not the code officer, and I'm flexible. All I want to see is $20 dollars worth of fire alarm and carbon monoxide detector. Set it on the table, I don't care. I want that picture in the report, and so far clients have been just fine with that condition request, FHA or otherwise.

Most times a simple call to Realtor cures the condition before ever finishing the report. "Swing by lowes and pick up a carbon monox alarm please so I can have a picture of this in the report." I've often also seen a trend of Realtors putting such nominal purchases on their checklists to assure nothing holds up the sale. I'll condition a missing gutter drain, because without proper drains, it only takes one winter season to crack a foundation like nobodies business in Colorado. Serious home depreciation awaits many a buyer who don't have a simple thing like a drain spout extension. So I'm flexible on many conditions, but call em when I see em. The purpose of the condition is not to attain a final, the purpose is to assure the viability of the property better. Sometimes that spells out finals, other times it spells out more work with no reward. Either way, I still call it.

MHT... Requiring (via placing a condition on your appraisal) smoke detectors is beyond the scope of work.

...Mile High, I respect your views usually, but frankly, if you did an appraisal on a house I was selling, and you conditioned the appraisal on smoke detector installation, and the deal fell through, I would sue your ARSE off, and I would win...

If you were selling the house and you did your due diligents, it would not be an issue, would it? On the other hand if you did not do your due diligents you would lose your real estate license. Also, if any of the occupants died in a fire and you were the listing agent that sold the house, who would sue who?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back