• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

FHA Smoke Detector Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is a home inspection rather than an appraisal issue. How do I know if it works? How do I know if it is placed in the right location? I have one in my house...guess I should see if it even works.

What do you guys do when you enter a vacant house and the smoke alarms are "chirping"?. Do you call for new batteries and then do a $100 re-inspection?

Fire up a stogey and blow smoke on it, the homeowner will love it when you tell them its a lender requirement.:laugh:

dog_smoking_cigar.jpg

What's interesting is the local PEMCO who does HUD REO's just updated their MPR's and costs associated with those repairs. The new update includes smoke detectors.

Sorry if I confused you, I was referring the the carbon monoxide detectors.

Sorry if I confused you, I was referring the the carbon monoxide detectors.

Confusion the ailment of many appraisers!

Confusion occurs when a person has difficulty understanding a situation or has disordered or unclear thoughts. It can be accompanied by memory loss, disorientation, or the inability to think quickly. Depending upon the cause, confusion may be a temporary, treatable condition or may be progressive. Appraisers should seek immediate medical care. :laugh:

Confusion the ailment of many appraisers!

Confusion occurs when a person has difficulty understanding a situation or has disordered or unclear thoughts. It can be accompanied by memory loss, disorientation, or the inability to think quickly. Depending upon the cause, confusion may be a temporary, treatable condition or may be progressive. Appraisers should seek immediate medical care. :laugh:

My immediate medical care has cost almost $175,000 in the last 60 days:laugh:

My immediate medical care has cost almost $175,000 in the last 60 days:laugh:

One appraisal for the next two year should cover that with no problem. :rof: Glad you feel better!

Also, if any of the occupants died in a fire and you were the listing agent that sold the house, who would sue who?
That's my take on it Ron.

I'd rather have conflict 100 times about calling this condition, than ever have to answer one single question about why nobody looked into such a condition as a result of some sort of tragic event.

Quite simply issues like smoke alarms should not be nobodies business. If nobody has apparently made it their business, they've put that on my plate, whether they realize that or not.

In a perfect world I'd always call in a pro inspector, and would force a process of validation paperwork to occur between the lender and the buyer and or sellers without a final inspection from me. But as most of those participators are predictably thrifty, often I'm back on scene to take another picture and state I'm not an expert during completion of a final.

Last edited:
Is that a Havana?

MHT... Requiring (via placing a condition on your appraisal) smoke detectors is beyond the scope of work.
Not to be confrontational, but you're still sticking to that even in a climate where the smoke and crbnmnx alarms are compulsory via real estate transfer? If so, I guess please elaborate further.

Fire up a stogey and blow smoke on it, the homeowner will love it when you tell them its a lender requirement.:laugh:

dog_smoking_cigar.jpg

i can not stop laughing...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks, Rex....it's pretty gloomy here weather wise today...this just brightened my day! :new_llying:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back