• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

FHA - Storage Sheds

jnjappraisal

Freshman Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
And this is why I rarely post questions on here... thankfully I don't have male parts so I don't have to argue who's is larger. :LOL:

Thank you to those of you who answered my question about your thoughts on if the sheds would constitute a health and safety issue. This is obviously one of those things that comes down to your opinion. My husband viewed the photos and thought they didn't seem unsafe but all the junk surrounding did. Oh, I love my job, I love my job, I love my job. :love:

andrew81

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Illinois
i had a very similar question about an old barn that had a bad roof and was leaning. below is the response from FHA. the report was completed based on the barn being removed or repaired as recommend by an inspection. the buyer opted to get an inspection which recommended the roof be repaired and some braces installed to stabilize it.

image.png

jnjappraisal

Freshman Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Wisconsin
i had a very similar question about an old barn that had a bad roof and was leaning. below is the response from FHA. the report was completed based on the barn being removed or repaired as recommend by an inspection. the buyer opted to get an inspection which recommended the roof be repaired and some braces installed to stabilize it.

View attachment 42681
AWESOME INFO! THANK YOU! I DID ALSO EMAIL FHA BUT HAVEN'T GOTTEN A RESPONSE YET AND I'VE GOT TO GET THIS UPLOADED HERE SHORTLY. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
And this is why I rarely post questions on here... thankfully I don't have male parts so I don't have to argue who's is larger. :LOL:

Thank you to those of you who answered my question about your thoughts on if the sheds would constitute a health and safety issue. This is obviously one of those things that comes down to your opinion. My husband viewed the photos and thought they didn't seem unsafe but all the junk surrounding did. Oh, I love my job, I love my job, I love my job. :love:
You didn't enjoy Mr Rex's rants about a god complex? He gives good advice at times, other times post like that... oh well, part of the BB ! Never dull

Last edited:

Evincere

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I have been an FHA Appraiser for awhile now (I am a WI Certified Appraiser) and I have come across different opinions on exterior sheds, etc. I recently inspected a home with a large amount of storage sheds, all in pretty poor shape. For a normal appraisal, I'd just consider them personal property and give them no value but I am curious your thoughts on such a situation with an FHA appraisal. Would these sheds needs to be removed due to their condition? To paint a picture for you, this appraisal is for an estate sale, where the son is buying from the estate of his father. His father worked on cars and has a tons of "junk" stored in the rear yard. There are tons of abandoned cars, car parts, etc. stored in and around about 4 personal property type sheds that are just not in good condition anymore. They could almost be considered unsafe, as if you had kids playing around these areas, there would definitely be ways to get hurt (but those exist in wide open spaces.. lol). Anyway I am just looking for your thoughts since I have had different people say different things on this issue.

THANK YOU!
Similar situation no credit given due to such poor condition- explained (provided photo essay) very large shed exceed remaining economic life, potential health and safety issues due to rotted wood, previous fire damage and left any removal conditions to be resolved between lender and FHA.

Sure enough, a week later received a request for a final to confirm shed had been demolished and removed.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks